CV
Posted By
Charles_Vortreflich
Mar 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve done a search and see that there are other threads related to this, so forgive me for starting a new one…

Brand new computer, 32-bit XP, 4GB RAM (sorry, but too many of my important programs don’t run on 64-bit), Intel 9650 quad, 3.0 GHz, RAID array, etc. And an ATI 4850 graphics card with 512 MB DDR3 RAM (on the Adobe tested list) and it doesn’t work properly with OpenGL turned on: brush lines do not complete until I start another line, or click someplace in the image (which creates another line!); preview for the stamp tool doesn’t work (there is no preview); ‘ghost’ panels over the image stay there even when they’re moved (a mouse click is needed to make them disappear). Animated zoom works (nice feature), flick panning does (not really needed), birdseye view does (also nice feature), rotate canvas does (not needed that I can see), pixel grid (might be useful); I haven’t tried the others. Bottom line: if I turn OpenGL off, it works fine, but those features are absent. I’ve been updating my drivers as ATI has (they’ve done several in the past month or so), but no help.

I don’t know how the beta testing was done or how this card could be on the approved list, but someone fell short. Please fix.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 3, 2009
The 4850 is working well for other users.
But it sounds like somethingis delaying updates (Photoshop draws something, but you don’t see it until another update occurs).

Do you have any other applications or utilities that might be using OpenGL?
CV
Charles_Vortreflich
Mar 4, 2009
Chris,
Thanks for the reply. At ATI support’s suggestion, I exchanged my first 4850 for another (they also told me that there’s a problem with refresh, but speculated it was due to a defective card). The second card didn’t solve the problem. Since OpenGL seems to be related to 2D and 3D graphics, I can’t imagine I have any programs also using OpenGL on my system. Don’t use 3D; I’m not a gamer. As for utilities, I’m using Norton Internet Security 2009; Diskeeper (I turned off auto defrag and it didn’t make any difference). Other programs I have running in the background: X1 (turning that off, made no difference); restoredesktop; DSentry; Epson print driver; Googleupdate; a bunch of services; and a few other files I don’t know much about but don’t believe are related to graphics.

Can you suggest any programs that might interfere with the OpenGL function in PS that might be common but unrelated to graphics? If it’s related to hardware: motherboard, CPU, RAID motherboard controller, type of memory (DDR3), I’m not sure how I can test that without re-configuring my system entirely.

Sure would like to solve this problem.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 4, 2009
Could be a screensaver, or something that just uses OpenGL for drawing (video, etc.). For some users it has been bad settings in ATI (or NVidia) control panels.
CV
Charles_Vortreflich
Mar 7, 2009
Chris: I just gave it up and swapped out the 4850 for whatever the computer store had on hand, which was an entry level NVidia 9400. It works beautifully. It has 512 MB memory. I don’t know if an entry level card will cause problems with Photoshop as I use features I haven’t tried yet, but I’m guessing that, since I’m not a gamer, the 9400 will suffice. I’d appreciate, however, any feedback for the 9400’s use with CS4.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections