file converted to .pdf from a .psd & so on..

JH
Posted By
Jules_Hammond-Casablancas
Mar 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. Running XP, PS 7.0, ID CS3, AI 10.03

I want to turn a poster file into a .pdf. I thought if you do it through Photoshop that this is the best way. I want to send this file to the printer with crop marks. For me crop marks are not as easy to do in PS as in other Adobe progs like AI & ID.

What is the difference if I made a .pdf in AI or ID? Is there a high advantage with Photoshop?

I made three .pdfs using the same .psd file, one in PS, AI & ID & they are all different sizes with AI being the largest & ID being the smallest.

Thanks.
Jules

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TG
Tom Glowka
Mar 2, 2009
If you’re going to increase the size of your image to a poster size, you should go with vector graphics using Illustrator. Vector graphics can be enlarged many times over and still maintain their crispness and smooth lines on artwork.
JH
Mar 2, 2009
I don’t have a lot of vector graphics, actually none, it’s just the text & images.

I have the poster sized at 100% at 150ppi

Once I submitted a .jpeg at 150ppi & it printed great, but I would like to submitt a .pdf to the printer.
B
Buko
Mar 2, 2009
ID is made for what you want to do. Place the PSD in InDesign and export your PDF.
JH
Mar 2, 2009
Thanks Buko, I will use ID then. For some reason large graphics scare me & I think a large .pdf is a crazy idea, but I guess it’s not. DO people provide .pdfs for billboards with lots of images & less vectors?
BL
Bob Levine
Mar 3, 2009
Did Photoshop 7 have a save as PDF feature?

Bob
JH
Mar 3, 2009
Bob, are you being silly? 🙂

I know you should make your text in InDesign, but in Photoshop I have drop shadows & stuff like that so I just left the text made in Photoshop. Will this be alright?

Sometimes if I have white text with a black drop shadow in Photoshop, I turn the text black in Photoshop with the drop shadow….then I go into InDesign & put white text over it…kinda time consuming..but meh..

Thanks.
BL
Bob Levine
Mar 3, 2009
No, I’m not being silly.

Newer versions of Photoshop save as PDF natively and this is the recommended file format for placing Photoshop files with vector data into InDesign.

All vector and text in PSD files is rasterized by InDesign but left intact when placing Photoshop PDFs.

Bob
JH
Mar 3, 2009
Oh I did not know that if you place a Photoshop PDF into InDesign that the text will stay intact.

That is very cool.
Thanks for sharing.

I guess too bad I have 7.0. I am getting CS4 soon.
JH
Mar 3, 2009
You know..I just did a test.

I made a small Photoshop file..brought it into InDesign..

Then I made the same file into a Photoshop PDF…I immediately saw how clear the text was on the .pdf brought into InDesign.

Bob – this is great…why didn’t I know about this?

Prints clear too!! 🙂
JH
Mar 3, 2009
What if you flatten the Photoshop .pdf before bringing into InDesign..does it matter?

I am getting transparency warnings & I hate those..

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections