C
Posted By
Cander
Mar 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop seems to be converting pictures that I open to 8-bit from 24-bit: before the problem I think it was converting to 16-bit because Photoshop doesnt seem to support 24-bit but I cant remember.

I’ve been using Photoshop CS4 for about 4-5 weeks now without any problems and this just seems to have come out nowhere. The problem doesn’t seem to be related to Camera Raw at all because I don’t use it to import my pictures, so the "Workflow Options" don’t seem to have any effect on the converting. I’ve also tried to delete the preferences file and that doesn’t help either.

Any ideas?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

M
Mylenium
Mar 2, 2009
What image file format do you use?

Mylenium
F
Freeagent
Mar 2, 2009
I’d think 24-bit is just 8 bits in four channels: R G B + alpha. PNG-24?

Just like 16 bits/ch is sometimes referred to as 48 bit (in RGB).

What does it say in Image > Mode?
SS
Steve Sprengel
Mar 2, 2009
24-bits-per-pixel / 3-colors-per-pixel = 8-bits-per-color
M
Mylenium
Mar 2, 2009
Or he could be using an exotic TIFF variety with 24bpc? Hard to tell from the original post.

Mylenium
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 2, 2009
Photoshop doesn’t convert bit depths or color modes when opening documents, unless there is an unsupported bit depth (like 12 bits/channel) in which case we convert upward (to 16 bits/channel).

It would help if you told us what file format you were talking about, and what you mean by "24 bit".

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections