PK
Posted By
Peter_Kallos
Feb 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just downloaded the CS4 update last night, and was doing my normal photoshop work when I had to re-start the application due to what looks like a memory leak.

Windows XP, 3GHZ dual core ( 45 nm one ), 4 GB RAM, NVidia 9600 GT, no GPU enabled ( still comes up with that error even with newest drivers ).

128MB TIFF file was my source.

I had 3 layers, then copy merged all to another layer so I could liquify.

Liquify was getting REALLY sluggish when trying to zoom, but was usable.

After 10 minutes here, I clicked "ok" to return the results, then it said there wasn’t enough memory to do it. So I had to cancel. Process was using right around 2 GB. I saved my PSD file ( around 256 MB ) and closed it. CS4 was still using around 2 GB with no documents open. So I closed CS4 and I had multiple errors pop up saying couldn’t export or copy from clipboard because not enough memory.

Brought CS4 back up and loaded in that 256MB psd file, everything was fine.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 27, 2009
Yeah, that sounds like Liquify might have a problem.
PK
Peter_Kallos
Feb 28, 2009
Ok, well if you need any more info to help fix it, let me know!

Right now, I’m re-starting photoshop between files. Not a huge problem, just an annoyance!
PK
Peter_Kallos
Feb 28, 2009
Oh, not sure if it’s just a liquify thing. Just worked on a photo that required no liquify, and after closing the photo so there were no documents open on CS4, it still was using 1 GB of memory. All I did was brush, heal, clone, and a hue/saturation layer.
JL
James_Laughlin_Marshall
Mar 1, 2009
I have the same problem using Photomerge, Load into photoshop layers, and merge HDR (starting from bridge), but the memory is lost somewhere while using photoshop, closing Bridge won’t fix it. Definitely annoying!
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 1, 2009
Peter – that part is normal. Photoshop reuses the memory it allocates. Photoshop will allocate memory up to the limit you set in preferences, then keep reusing that memory for other documents, presets, caches, etc.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 1, 2009
James – please be clear what "problem" you are referring to. Peter posted one problem, and one non-problem.
PK
Peter_Kallos
Mar 1, 2009
Ok, thanks Chris for the info.
PK
Peter_Kallos
Mar 2, 2009
I’ve been told by support that I need to un-install CS4, and re-install it and the patch in order to rectify my problem. The cause of the problem they are saying is a failed application of the patch.

Is this a bunch of BS to keep me busy for a while? How do I know that the next time everything will install correctly?

This will take some time to do, and I’ll have to figure out how to backup all my settings/scripts.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections