Posted By
Freeagent
Feb 25, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TH
Trez_Hane
Feb 25, 2009
And it installed without a problem on the first try!
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 25, 2009
Trez,

The instruction says to use the Updater Application, but the zip contains a Setup.exe.

Should I launch that? with PS and AV software closed?

Rob
TH
Trez_Hane
Feb 25, 2009
Rob–

The instructions are (no surprise) a little confused/confusing.

I downoaded the zip from the web site, expanded it with paths to a temporary folder, EXITED (not paused) my AV, and ran setup.exe with no problems.

I don’t know how well things go if you use the Adobe Updater from within Photoshop because I always use the web site.

Trez
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks. I’ll do what you did.

Rob
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 25, 2009
Got it!

Not that I’m desperate to install it just yet – I’ll wait to see what side-effects it might have.

But I hope it cures most of the problems we’ve heard about since CS4 was released.
G
Gener
Feb 25, 2009
I installed from the updater…no problems.
F
Freeagent
Feb 25, 2009
No idea if this is connected, but the timing is odd:

Immediately after downloading and unzipping I got a virus alert from Avast. Something called Win32:Vitro, residing in system32/drivers.

Is this a false positive? Checking on the ‘net, I see some people linking it to Flash Player.

I haven’t run the 11.0.1.exe yet. This is on my Vista32 laptop; haven’t checked the 64 desktop.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 25, 2009
FA,

I’d right click on the downloaded zip file and scan it. Come to think of it, that’s what I always do!

Rob
F
Freeagent
Feb 25, 2009
Yes, but I trust Adobe… 8)

Anyway, I moved the "infected" file to the vault – and it shot my graphics driver to h*ll. Had to completely reinstall it.

So I’d say it’s a false positive, yes.
RP
Robert_Pender
Feb 25, 2009
I ran the updater from within PS and it went through no problem.

It has certainly fixed the brush lag. There is still a noticeable lag in the text tool, though
E
ElliR
Feb 25, 2009
Also ran the update without hitch via the updater from within PS. I have to add though that it would have been nice had Adobe actually stated what performance issues had been fixed instead of just this – " A number of issues that could cause slow performance have been addressed" – as it might have been of some assistance to those who have been attempting updating every known driver known to mankind in an attempt to get to the root of their problems.
BC
Bart_Cross
Feb 25, 2009
I installed the updater. Photoshop seems a little zippier on first open and the text tool had a minor lag before (I’m a touch typist) and there does not seem to be one at all. 3D is running ‘absolutely fabo’, although I had not been experiencing any problems in that area.
R
RichLockard
Feb 25, 2009
Though I haven’t tested everything thoroughly, the update made a huge difference in brush speed, especially on 3D objects. Things appear to be faster. I can finally start using the program it seems, Thanks!

Ati 4780 1GB
XP 32
DE
David_E_Crawford
Feb 25, 2009
Downloaded and updated thru PS update with no issues.
LH
Les_Helgeson
Feb 25, 2009
I’d like to propose a toast to Adam Jerugim and the rest of the engineering team who worked on this update.

Thumbs up :)!

Installed perfectly from within PS using the updater. No problems with Trend Micro as far as security issues, either.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 25, 2009
Mea maxima culpa! 🙂
DC
David_Calvert
Feb 25, 2009
Installed with no problems.

First the good news. Performance on Open GL is much better. Screen redraw is far better than it was and brush lag is better too.

Now the not-so good news. Since having CS4, I have noticed that when Open GL is on, images on my screen don’t look totally sharp. The images look sharper when Open GL is off. I’m afraid this problem still persists after the update. This problem does not happen with CS3.

FYI. I use a GeForce 7300 GS with the latest drivers.

Anyone else having the same problem
F
Freeagent
Feb 25, 2009
David,

This is just the GPU smoothing at odd zoom levels. Notice how it is sharp when you grab it by the title bar, and then goes soft when you release it? That’s OGL kicking in.

In the "old" days people would complain about jagged rendering; now it’s not jagged enough… 😉

It’s as important as ever to view at 50%, 100%, 200% etc. for critical work, sharpening and so on.
MS
Mike_Sargent
Feb 25, 2009
Installed, no problems so far, performance is good.

Thanks go to Chris and Adam (and the rest of the team) for resolving the issues.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 25, 2009
Mea maxima culpa!

what do you mean larry? did you try it? did it resolve your issues?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 25, 2009
Catholic expression. No need to telegraph it. 😀

I don’t have CS4 installed any more, nor do I have any time left to re-install it. I would really like to know if the installation issue went away, that is the 11 or so errors that didn’t prevent lauching or basic ops on my AMD anyway.

Just curious!

Thanks to the CS team for doing the fixes. It’s a lot of work, as i can imagine from doing stuff like that here where I work.
HK
H.Kent_Shirley
Feb 25, 2009
Anyone having problems with 11.0.1 update. I get failed to install. Tried Help updates from within CS4 and downloaded the update to install manually.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 26, 2009
Kent – what error did it give when the update failed?
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Feb 26, 2009
Also, what OS is the install failing for you on?
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 26, 2009
Perhaps we can take a day off from the Adobe bashing now. I’m sure a lot of hard work went into this patch.

The only issue I had was with the text lag and it’s now gone. Good work, folks.

Bob
HB
harold_berm
Feb 26, 2009
The two (rather small) issues I have had are still present. The ghost minimize/maximize/close buttons and the inability to stack files via "browse" using the stack script unless they are already open and I use the "use open images" option.
E
ElliR
Feb 26, 2009
Yes I am also experiencing this ghosting effect on the minimize/maximize/close buttons even after cleaning my glasses. 🙂 This doesn’t happen on the desktop computer – only the laptop which uses a WUXGA 15.4" screen running at the native resolution of 1920 x 1200, NVIDIA Go7600 256MB MXM2 Hybrid, Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz T7200 4MB 667MHz, 2xSamsung 1GB DDR2 PC5300 SODIMM, Windows XP2 Pro SP3, all latest drivers etc.
DC
David_Calvert
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for your comments Freeagent, I know about the 50% / 100% thing, but there is a noticeable difference in sharpness when OpenGL is on. When OpenGL is off the pictures look sharper. When OPenGL is on, its a real pain when you want to view the whole picture of a large file on the screen and it looks out of focus.
F
Freeagent
Feb 26, 2009
Could you post screenshots with and without OGL, but at same zoom percentage? Pixentral will do fine.

There will be a visible difference in sharpness – question is how much.
DC
David_Calvert
Feb 26, 2009
OK here they are..

All images displayed at 22% magnification.

1. Image displayed on PS CS3.
<http://tinyurl.com/dj564d>

2. Image displayed on PS CS4 – OpenGL switched OFF.
<http://tinyurl.com/db2us8>

3. Image displayed on PS CS4 OpenGL switched ON.
<http://tinyurl.com/bbudk7>
F
Freeagent
Feb 26, 2009
I’m getting those as 800×640 jpegs, which doesn’t tell me much.

Hit "print screen" and paste the entire thing into a new photoshop document. Then flatten it and save it as PNG-24. This will be a screenshot of your actual screen pixels.

Go to Pixentral.com and upload it. Just follow the instructions. Place the cursor in the "html" field, ctrl+a and copy, and then paste that into your post. This will produce a clickable thumbnail here.
HK
H.Kent_Shirley
Feb 26, 2009
Adobe photoshop CS4 11.0.1 Failed to install.
I’m using XP64
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 26, 2009
I’m using XP64

Totally unsupported.

Bob
S
SDA
Feb 26, 2009
As Bob L mentioned it is unsupported but it should still work. That said; do you have proper privileges to install software ? Any anti-malware software running should be disabled as well. Do you have current system upgrades installed ?
HH
Hugh Hansard
Feb 26, 2009
The OGL sharpness is a known item. Was identified in the pre-release Beta program.

H
A
anshum
Feb 26, 2009
Hi H.Kent Shirley , did u try to update via Updater or via patcher ? Patcher can be download from Adobe.com > download > updates.

Close all the applications before installing and then try to install again.
F
Freeagent
Feb 26, 2009
The OGL sharpness is a known item

That’s what I thought. Something has to give when x image pixels are represented by x/y screen pixels.
HH
Hugh Hansard
Feb 26, 2009
F,

Just turn off OGL unless you need it for something specific. Sharpness with OGL is a known problem and for many at all resoltuions. But as a test, you can open the same image in other apps that use OGL (and I have tried 10 others) and — ta da — no problem.

H
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 26, 2009
Just turn off OGL unless you need it for something specific

that doesn’t seem like any kind of solution. i though OGL was a big part of this upgrade and many of the newest coolest features rely on it…? which is it?
HK
H.Kent_Shirley
Feb 26, 2009
Used the downloaded patch. Updates grayed out in photoshop. Tried help>updates from bridge. Have all windows updates, no virus running,
have admin privileges. Still no luck…Thanks
HH
Hugh Hansard
Feb 26, 2009
DM

Only advice I can give based on the knowledge that I have. For me, improves overall speed and clears bluryness issue. I do all my 3D stuff in AE, so not really a good person on this topic — right tool for the job.

As for not any kind of solution… Correct. The PS team will fix the code, it is an important part of the CS4 value proposition. 523 does address several of the OGL issues that I (and others) facing.

No question, folks are working the issues.

The trick is: when the 11.0.2 will be out?

H
HK
H.Kent_Shirley
Feb 26, 2009
Used the downloaded patch. Updates grayed out in photoshop. Tried help>updates from bridge. Have all windows updates, no virus running,
have admin privileges. Still no luck…Thanks
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 26, 2009
Updates grayed out in photoshop

If you have downloaded the patch you just unzip it and run setup.

No need to do anything in Photoshop or Bridge.

They should not be running!
HK
H.Kent_Shirley
Feb 26, 2009
No Apps running. I have run the patch several times still get install failed. Also checked task manager to be sure ps or bridge were not still running….Thanks
HH
Hugh Hansard
Feb 26, 2009
HKS –

Sorry if this has been asked/answered…

I had some problems with the beta on install…

Do you get:

failed

installation succeed with errors

or just error..

I received all three on different machines.

Do you have any other components of the CS4 suite installed?

The logs should help…

H
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 26, 2009
The PS team will fix the code

ya think? when was the last time you saw 2 dot releases for a full version. unless you mean they’ll fix it in cs5…
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Feb 26, 2009
Answer: 9.0.2

Not quite ancient history.
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for playing, Dave. We have some lovely parting gifts for you including a home version of "Name that Dot Release."

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 26, 2009
🙂

wait… didn’t they go right from 9 to 9.02?!! 😉

ok sorry. XD
ND
Nick_Decker
Feb 26, 2009
ya think?

No, I don’t.

I’d have to go back and read the agreement that I signed to become part of the pre-release group for this update, but I will tell you that I was disappointed at the attitude toward fixing some of the known problems. I may have gone too far by even saying that, but what the hey, maybe I don’t get the lovely parting gift.
HK
H.Kent_Shirley
Feb 26, 2009
Hugh
I get "installation failed"
CS3 and CS4 32 bit are installed
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 26, 2009
Or 4.0.1 through 4.0.8: the updates that ate my life.
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 26, 2009
But that IS ancient history!

Bob
HH
Hugh Hansard
Feb 26, 2009
DM,

On the the subject of bugs, I don’t think there is much choice on the subject. If the bugs are not fixed (and soon), there will be no CS5.

Years ago, PS was the only game in town… the landscape is changing rapidly. Companies must evolve. Adobe has lost some market share and suffering from low licence conversion rates, but they a are loosing mind-share at a more rapid rate. That is the real problem.

Agree with ND. Could provide numerous examples.

I am presenting at a conference in March. I know the moderator. The mood is not generally favorable. Flash and LR have some sparks in the air, PP and PS are not helping.

H
HH
Hugh Hansard
Feb 26, 2009
HKS,

I had that on one machine. I completely blew-away my CS3 (the entire Master Suite), then did a fresh CS4 install (the entire Master Suite). Then installed patch — AOK.

H
HK
H.Kent_Shirley
Feb 26, 2009
I’m waving the white flag – Installing Vista64 thanks for the inputs…Kent
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 26, 2009
Or 4.0.1 through 4.0.8: the updates that ate my life.

I hear you chris and adam. only so much you can do before you gotta get going with the next version, and i don’t question you guys’ dedication a bit… BUT, i’m not so sure that mgmt always has us – the user’s – best interests at heart rather than the shareholders. no matter what, imo the USERS need to come first, because if they’re not happy, the shareholders sure won’t be. too many mba types forget that.

so we have a big investment in new technology, push towards the bleeding edge in using the GPU to offload what i can only imagine is some really insane processing (and a miracle of coding – pushing the state of the art). maybe it would’ve been a good idea to ease off the 18 month (whatever, i didn’t count) release schedule a bit until it was a little more solid. say 2 years, or 2.5 even. i didn’t see anyone really SCREAMING for a new release. and i didn’t see any competitor breathing down adobe’s neck for the graphics market. (apple? nah.) i’m sure that sticking to the normal release schedule was 100% a management decision.
CA
Christian_Astrup_Bakke
Feb 27, 2009
I am also unable to update to CS4 11.0.1 from 11.0.

The only error message I get is: "Failed to install". I have tried using the updates on adobe.com and thru the Updates functions in both Bridge and Photoshop.

Running Windows Vista 64 and Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended.
ND
Nick_Decker
Feb 27, 2009
Dave, it still isn’t fixed. While working in CS4 today (after posting that upgrading to the ATI 9.2 driver fixed [sort of] my diappearing window content problem), the lagging behavior problem came back. I tried to drag the content of one layer around and it took forever for it to move!

OK. So, Adobe decided to rely on video card vendors to keep up with OpenGL features in PS. That has been an obviously bad move. Now, CS4, for me, is hit and miss on what works and what doesn’t, within one session of trying to get some work done! I didn’t change anything!

Between new vid drivers and CS4, I’m freaking at a loss as to what needs to be done. From what I’m reading on the pre-release site, it will be shut down within the week. Good luck to us all.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 27, 2009
cs3 is pretty stable…

<gr&d>
DE
David_E_Crawford
Feb 27, 2009
Christian,
Did you quit CS4 and bridge applications before you tried to apply the patch?
CA
Christian_Astrup_Bakke
Feb 27, 2009
David,
The last time I tried (with the update I downloaded from the website), was after a reboot. I had not even opened Photoshop or any other Adobe product at that point.

I have successfully installed other updates/fixes to other Adobe products "recently", for example the Camera Raw 5.2 update. I believe this is the first time I have hit a snag when updating using Adobe Updater.

Edit: I should mention that I was not prompted to quit other programs when trying to update the first time around. Has this been changed on purpose?
DE
David_E_Crawford
Feb 27, 2009
Just wondering as it didn’t ask me either. I just quit the programs due to conditioning…….

I did turn off windows defender just in case too.
JK
John_K_Shaw
Feb 27, 2009
I downloaded the update but got the "failed to install" message. Now the "update" option in CS4 is grayed out. I’m running the latest Vista 64. Suggestions?
A
anshum
Feb 27, 2009
Hi H.Kent Shirley ,

The problem can be narrowed down if you can send me the logs kept at following location

"Root Drive"\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\Adobe Photoshop CS4 11.0 log files.

If you find more than one entry of logs there then please send the latest logs with respect to date and time.
A
anshum
Feb 27, 2009
Hi John ,

Hope you are logged as an administrator and closed you running applications while installing the updates.

If possible , please attach the log files kept in following location and send it to me via email.

"Root Drive"\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\Adobe Photoshop CS4 11.0 log files.

Will get back to you once the problem is narrowed down.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 27, 2009
So you guys actually have logs in the app. CC said no.

Or is it just in the update?

So, what’s in the update for those not having problems?
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 27, 2009
Larry, the logs are installer logs.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 27, 2009
Ok, I found left over logs from when I tried (not too successfully) the 30 day trial.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 27, 2009
Yep, I see that and that’s exactly where I had the problem. 🙂
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 27, 2009
Lawrence – only the installer and updater log stuff like that.
F
Freeagent
Feb 27, 2009
On a slightly different note: The one thing I had really hoped for in 11.0.1 – the ability to open images on another monitor than where the application frame is (as you could in CS3) – did not happen.

I’ve submitted a formal feature request. This has been discussed on the Mac side as well.
CA
Christian_Astrup_Bakke
Feb 27, 2009
Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked in my "Root Drive"\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\" folder for any hints as to why the update is failing her. Unfortunatly I can’t see any related logs. The latest one I have is from when I updated Camera Raw to version 5.2 (which worked great).

Why are there no logs from my attempted CS4 11.0.1 update? Are they located somewhere else?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 27, 2009
Chris, the installer logs have no data on failures or anomalys such as what I experienced? 11 errors noting missing program elements which appeared to then be solved by using the CS3 version. I don’t remember the exact wording on the error message. It’s here somewhere in these threads. I have 5 log files in that folder.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 27, 2009
I don’t know what all is in the installer logs — another team does that work.
A
anshum
Mar 1, 2009
By any chance if you are finding your 11.0.1 update to Fail , please check your antivirus blocked/quarantined files settings. Chances are it may have blocked/deleted file from Adobe server . In case that is happening unblock Adobe or provide exception to the Updates coming from Adobe Server.

Please inform if the problem is still not solved with these steps.
ML
Matthew Laun
Mar 25, 2009
You might be experiencing this issue which has been causing CS4 updates that patch files (instead of replacing them) to fail on some Windows machines. This issue, cause, and solution are documented here:

<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb408524>

Please note that the ACR 5.2 update was susceptible to this issue. We believe the ACR 5.3 updte is not. However, if a previous update of ACR failed due to the root cause, then it can leave your files in a state which will prevent future update from working, simply because they don’t find the files in the expected state. In which case, you need to do the complete solution, which involves a clean re-install (sorrry 🙁

Sincerely,
Matthew

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections