Posted By
James_Patageul
Feb 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi people,

i want maybe go on 64bit version, but it is really faster than 32bit ? (link to any banchmark ?)
and what are advantge and disavantage ?

and what are the requirements
Vista 64bit and that’s all ?

btw did i need to purchase a specific 64bit version of CS4 , or it come with the 32bit version ?
or maybe it’s a single *.exe how launch both ?

and finaly on a 64bit OS can i install both 32 and 64 Version of photoshop ? (because i read that some’s plugin do not yet support 64bit)

thank’s people…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JP
James_Patageul
Feb 24, 2009
and finaly on a 64bit OS can i install both 32 and 64 Version of photoshop ?
(because i read that some’s plugin do not yet support 64bit)

Photoshop installs a 32-bit and a 64-bit shortcut into the Start Menu. (for i guess 64bit version only)

i found the answer here:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 404901
G
gowanoh
Feb 24, 2009
I have read many comparisons of running Photoshop in 32 bit and 64 bit but I do not recall any formal benchmark tests. I also do not recall any reviewers who found the 64 bit version faster or found that breaking the 3gb memory barrier with 64 bit Vista yielded any tangible improvement in function regardless of the version of Photoshop.
Most benchmarked studies of computer speed use a Photoshop function, but this really tests the CPU more than anything else. CPU speed is still the major determinant of how fast Photoshop runs.
Most Photoshop functions are single threaded although applying operations to a static image that can be sliced into sections would seem the perfect situation for multithreading operations, particularly harnessing the GPU. Alas this appears to be impossible with the state of current software and video drivers. Most of the computing firepower in your machine is simply not utilized by Photoshop at any given time, particularly your video card. The advantage of a multicore processor is off loading the constant need to access the CPU of the OS and background programs that would otherwise compete with Photoshop for CPU time. Hence a multicore processor will yield more speed than a 64 bit OS.
Plug-ins inhabit their own universe, some not compatible with 64 bit OSes.
F
Freeagent
Feb 24, 2009
i want maybe go on 64bit version, but it is really faster than 32bit ?

Not as such. But it can use more RAM for large files, and that will speed things up. On, say, web-sized images you won’t notice any difference.

and what are the requirements Vista 64bit and that’s all ?

That’s about it.

i read that some’s plugin do not yet support 64bit

That’s correct.
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 24, 2009
Here’s a benchmark type test that a lot of people have used.

<http://www.retouchartists.com/pages/speedtest.html>
JH
John_Hunly
Feb 24, 2009
I don’t and would never expect 64-bits to speed anything up. I just want access to the 8GB of ram I just put in. That under some circumstances will give you a speed increase (think really large images, working on lots of images at once, etc.)

Robert

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections