Photoshop CS3: How to Get This "Retro" Effect!

JM
Posted By
Jacalyn_Mains
Feb 22, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK, I’ve been seeing this REALLY awesome retro look on images and am not sure how to do it! Any of you know how? Here is a link to a gallery that shows this type of effect: (you’ll have to scroll over to image 3)

<http://www.stephcarson.com/wedding/wedding1/>
Go to image number 3 (3/40)

thank you in advance!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

F
Freeagent
Feb 23, 2009
That image has "Lab Curves" written all over it (watch the green/magenta shift).

I’m sure someone can fill in the exact steps.
TH
Trez_Hane
Feb 23, 2009
Hi Jacalyn,

Here’s one way (among many) to accomplish the effect in 2 minutes or less. Work from a COPY of your original.
First, using hue/saturation, reduce the saturation to give a "faded" effect. Add a new layer; fill that layer with the color of the "tint" you want to apply. Change the blending mode for that layer to "Color" and adjust the opacity to suit.
For the irregular vignette, add another layer and fill it with the dark tone you want for the vignette. Add a layer mask filled with white. With a very large, soft brush, paint on the mask with black to allow the center to become visible.

When done, flatten & save in whatever format you wish — or save it with the layers intact as a PSD if you think you may want to make more changes.

As I said, there are other ways to accomplish this. There are always multiple ways in Photoshop, but this is quick & dirty.

Trez
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 23, 2009
Mostly it’s just a blown out center, with a vignette around the edges that appears to be set to multiply or color burn.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections