OG
Posted By
ORLANDO_GONDAR
Feb 11, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello folks, I am new to Photoshop CS3 Extended.

There are some things that I used to do with another program, that can figure out how to do it with Photoshop

1: On Photopaint, I used to click on the canvas, masking the white background lets say, and then I click on "invert" and the mask will be on the objects on the white background, ( anything that was not white )
From there I could copy and paste or save the selection.

How I do this on Photoshop, masking an object from a background ?

2: On Photopaint I could said New from Clipboard
and there is the new picture with whatever was on memory, however I try that and all I get on Photoshop is a white canvas the size of the object on memory, but just that, blank.

Those 2 tips will be very gooooood for me if someone can help me….

100000000 of thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
Mylenium
Feb 11, 2009

1. Layers and selections. PS does not use objects as in PPaint. To keep a selected part of the image separate, simply copy&Paste. It will be inserted as a new layer. From that you can restore selections any time by Ctrl+clicking on the layer thumbnail. Alternatively , explicitly save your selection as a custom channel (Select –> Save Selection). This also can be used to non-destructively retouching layers, if the selection is saved to a layer mask. Double-click the "Background" to turn it into a floating layer, apply the selection to it (dashed circle in the layers palette or Select menu again).

2. Simply paste. As per the above, AE will create a floating layer containing your actual data. It’s a minor inconvenience, but better this way.

Mylenium
EF
Erin_Foley
Feb 12, 2009
I’m new to Photoshop CS3–upgraded from 6.0 which I have had for a long time. I’m using a new scanner as well, Microtek Scanmaker 9800XL with the TMA. I’m experimenting with scanning negatives. I scan the 4 x 5 negs as 600 ppi .tif files, then reduce them to save as .jpg files. I cannot get Photoshop CS3 to save the images as .jpg files. It works fine when I do reflective scans. Is there a way to make the files .jpg files? Or is there a better format for reduced files?
Thanks for any help.
A
Art
Feb 12, 2009
Check MODE and see that it’s RGB. Even if you can save a CMYK .jpg, it will cause some people problems.

wrote in message
I’m new to Photoshop CS3–upgraded from 6.0 which I have had for a long time. I’m using a new scanner as well, Microtek Scanmaker 9800XL with the TMA. I’m experimenting with scanning negatives. I scan the 4 x 5 negs as 600 ppi .tif files, then reduce them to save as .jpg files. I cannot get Photoshop CS3 to save the images as .jpg files. It works fine when I do reflective scans. Is there a way to make the files .jpg files? Or is there a better format for reduced files?
Thanks for any help.
F
Freeagent
Feb 12, 2009
Erin,

Are the neg scans 16 bit/channel? Jpeg doesn’t support that. Go to Image > Mode.

In any case, jpeg is not recommended for anything but final output. It will re-compress and deteriorate every time you resave it. If you really need to reduce file size, Tiff has an option for lossless compression (LZW). But if you consider a 4×5 @ 600 ppi a large file, it may be time for a new hard drive? 🙂

BTW it’s better to start a new thread than bury your question in an unrelated one.
OG
ORLANDO_GONDAR
Feb 12, 2009
10000000000 of thanks !

Very good, I have if possible one more very important
question, one of those things I use to do a lot on
Photopaint……

On photopaint I "MASK" an area, then paste a big picture and just click "CLIP TO MASK" so the
big picture was cliped to the mask.

How I do this on Photoshop CS3

Also do you know a place where I can download "Basic Tips" on Photoshop….. Thanks
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 13, 2009
in the bottom of the layers palette there’s a layer mask icon. you should hit F1 (help) and read up on masks. you might not actually need a mask though, you might be able to just crop to a selection. do a little reading and see which is more like the program you used to use.
UH
Udo Huebner
Feb 13, 2009
schrieb:
I’m new to Photoshop CS3–upgraded from 6.0 which I have had for a long time. I’m using a new scanner as well, Microtek Scanmaker 9800XL with the TMA. I’m experimenting with scanning negatives. I scan the 4 x 5 negs as 600 ppi .tif files, then reduce them to save as .jpg files. I cannot get Photoshop CS3 to save the images as .jpg files. It works fine when I do reflective scans. Is there a way to make the files .jpg files? Or is there a better format for reduced files? Thanks for any help.

May be that your scan is 16-bit-… This does not work for .jpg . In that case you should change to /mode/8-bit-…
Regards Udo

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections