AJ
Posted By
Alex_Jezior
Feb 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
So I have had Photoshop CS3 for a while and then one day when I tried to access it again it decided to crash upon loading it. It has worked before and I have tried removing the preferences file but nothing seems to help. I have even looked all over the web for something to fix it but I can’t seem to find anything. And yes I have even tried re-installing.

So here is a couple Screen shots to show my point of view.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2jbmqad.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2rp61xy.jpg

I really hope you guys can help. It would be so much appreciated!

Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 5, 2009
Have you added any plugins? If so, remove them then try launching CS3. If it loads, CS3 has an issue with a plugin.
B
bmoag
Feb 5, 2009
Sadly, despite its cost, Photoshop is not bulletproof and Adobe does not address instability issues adequately–Bridge CS3 has always been a bugfest and Bridge CS4 so far appears to be even worse (Bridge CS4 will never retain settings for a custom desktop on my uber machine and I have tried everything).
Problems like yours are usually not resolved by simple
uninstalling/reinstalling the program. Sometimes a search and destroy manual sweep of your hard drive and registry to remove files and settings that are not deleted by the uninstall routine will work (reboot before reinstalling). Some other program/driver is usually preventing PS from launching due to memory/resource conflict, incorrect dll version, or sloppy programming that Microsoft has never cleared from Windows and is perpetuating in Win7/Vista SP3. Adobe is as much to blame as Microsoft in the sloppy programming department.
First: see if you have a system restore point prior to when the problem developed and revert to that state. If that solves your problem you are lucky as System Restore points, while great in theory, are often corrupted or simply do not exist as they should.
Install the latest Video driver for your system. New video drivers cure many ills.
Will Photoshop load if the antivirus/firewall program is turned off? Do you know how to systematically shut down background processes to find what might be conflicting with PS? I recommend starting with Itunes if it is on your machine as Itunes and the other gunk Apple puts on your system are astounding resource hogs even when the program is not actively running You can also uninstall OS updates to see if that is causing the problem although less likely.
Viruses and malware do not usually affect just one productivity program like Photoshop, unless you are loading the program from a networked drive, but running scans will not hurt. My recent sad experience with one employee’s computer was that the most highly touted programs failed to identify/clean the virus/malware (hijacked web sites and would not let networked programs load) and only a wipe of the hard drive/reinstallation solved the problem.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 5, 2009
Did you install any other software since Photoshop last worked?

It looks like something may have corrupted one of the DLLs used by Photoshop.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections