LC
Posted By
Leonie_Cridland
Feb 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have taken some photos at 10 megapixels. When I open them in Photoshop (v CS3 10.01) the image information says it is 72dpi. Why is this?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

LC
Leonie_Cridland
Feb 5, 2009
We’ve just discovered it may be the fault of the camera. Still investigating. But if you have any ideas please let us know.

LC
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 5, 2009
You can call off the investigation!

The megapixels of the camera can be seen by looking at the pixel dimensions in Image size. This will multiply to approximately 10 million.

DPI, or more correctly PPI (pixels per inch) is a measure of the resolution and has no significance until the picture is sized for printing in inches or centimetres.
LC
Leonie_Cridland
Feb 5, 2009
Thank you John,
Someone else here locally has been trying to explain this to me as well. I think I understand this better now – it’s a confusing thing though, especially for a creative brained person with an extreme deficit in the numbers department!
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 5, 2009
Don’t worry, you are not alone! 🙂

You may not want to worry about these technicalities but if you’re interested read <http://www.scantips.com/no72dpib.html#6>.

That whole web site is full of good stuff.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections