JD
Posted By
John_D._Lord
Feb 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I reinstalled P7.0 and now I don’t have the option to save files in .GIF extension.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

G
grahamtav
Feb 3, 2009
John
You are probably trying to say as 16bit.
Go to ‘Image’ – ‘Mode’ and select the 8bit option.
The gif save as option should be there now.
Graham
JD
John_D._Lord
Feb 3, 2009
The 8 bit option is checked the 16 bit option is grayed out.

Any answer as to why I have to go to the control panel / display/ settings and change to 32 bit color each time I bring Photoshop up?
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2009
there are a bunch of limitations on gif. no layers. 8 bit. indexed color mode. no more than 256 colors.

Any answer as to why I have to go to the control panel / display/ settings and change to 32 bit color each time I bring Photoshop up?

why wouldn’t you be in 32 bit color all the time anyway?
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 3, 2009
Games?
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2009
scrabble, bingo, uno… i’m sure there are others, but what’s your point? 😉
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 3, 2009
I thought some games reset video card settings.

Shows what I know. 🙁
M
Mylenium
Feb 3, 2009

Umm, because when you edit photos, you would want to do so in "True Color" without the gamut being further limited by reduced screen bit depth? Not sure why that is even a question, honestly. The last time I used a computer with a graphics card that didn’t support 32bit colors must have been my old 486 with a VESA card way back in 1996 or so. Unless there is a specific reason, by all means, your settings should always default to 32bit. And if you really must run legacy applications that require this (which can include older DirectX games), make them behave by adjusting their program shortcut compatibility settings rather than adjusting these options in your global system settings. If that doesn’t cut it, try tools like DOSBox or similar, aimed at maximizing compatibility… Retro-gaming can be cool, but not if it impairs your system.

Mylenium
P
Phosphor
Feb 3, 2009
"I thought some games reset video card settings."

Some do.

Some even set them back to where they were when you exit the application.
JD
John_D._Lord
Feb 3, 2009
I am using an Invidia GeForce FX 5200. Each time I open P7.0 I have to change the settings back to 32 bit… It changes itself to 8 bit.

I don’t play games. I use this unit to edit video, Artwork for CD covers, DVD Architect, and Writing.
I don’t have your expertise in computers so any help you send along is greatly appreciated. John

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections