SSD for scratch disk, Has anyone tried it yet?

CF
Posted By
chris_farrell
Feb 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m thinking about the getting the Intel 80gb MLC ssd drive for primary use as a scratch disk…I may get a SLC if I can justify the price…

Has anyone tried SSD’s as a scratch disk. Any ‘real world’ experiences out there?

Cheers.

Chris

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

H
Ho
Feb 2, 2009
It’s been tried, but the results haven’t been good enough to justify the cost, at least that’s my interpretation. Sorry I can’t point you to a review. My feeling is that we’ll need to wait for the next generation, but I hope I’m wrong. I want one too. 🙂
CF
chris_farrell
Feb 2, 2009
That’s my gut reaction too….

The price would be worth it if they really out performed mechanical HDs….I might hold on a bit.
P
Phosphor
Feb 2, 2009
The Google has some stuff to read:

<http://www.google.com/search?q=SSD+photoshop+scratch>
HH
Hugh Hansard
Feb 2, 2009
The fastest that I use is a dedicated 4GB/sec dual channel FC RAID 0 (1TB) array. Now this is totally overkill for PS — I use it for PP, AE etc where the demands are much higher.

For paging and programs, I use seperate dedicated 75GB 15Krpm FW SCSI 320. SCSI and drives are cheep these days. The MTBF on 15k drives has improved greatly from "the bad old days". In many ways, a fast paging disk would be better bang for the buck.

General rule: programs, paging, scratch and data should all reside on seperate disks.

for datra, I use a seperate 4GB/sec dual chanel FC RAID 3 array (4TB).

Backups are puched to a 4TB NAS drive in a fire resistant closet in the basement.

H

H
CF
chris_farrell
Feb 2, 2009
Cheers everyone.

@hugh. Yeah, I do that with separate drives. I have Raptors for the important drives….but not with raid set-up.

I’ve got to do produce huge image ( you will fall over at the spec ) and it’s maxing out and beyond my 16gb Ram and the scratch is causing a slight delay when I have more than 2 layers in the image….blah.

I could upgrade to 32gb – but that’ll mean a new m/board and going into the Xeons ……:(
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 3, 2009
I tested an SSD when I ran the basic test of CS4 on the Intel x58 chipset board and an i7 2.66G with 6G ddr3.

For initial tests, I did not have a separate scratch disk, just used C drive. Then I did add an SSD as dedicated and found the time change to be about 0.2 sec faster with C drive. The running time was 14 sec.

I’ve been reading some interesting articles on SSD, now and in the near future. looks extreemely promising, with the technology not unlike re writable CD’s.

The speed problem coms down to cost tradeoff at this point
HH
Hugh Hansard
Feb 3, 2009
I have dual xeons and enough ram. would love to see the image. I do poster size all the time. Currently working on a 3x5ft.

H
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 3, 2009
It’s about 250M at 16 bit RGB
B
BJNicholls
Feb 3, 2009
Most affordable SSD’s aren’t as fast as a fast hard drive for both read and write speeds. I’m running a dedicated 150GB Velociraptor drive for Creative Suite applications’ scratch space.
CF
chris_farrell
Feb 3, 2009
The current size is 270 x 10400cm @ 250ppi – it’s a full wall sized digital artwork…….not allowed to show it just yet…..In the summer..maybe???..as it depends on the client.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 4, 2009
10"x34′ @250dpi.

Impressive. I don’t remember how long a piece an Epson large format can run.
CF
chris_farrell
Feb 4, 2009
It’s going to be split into 10ish vertical panels ( Wall material limitations )and printed in sections….but I need to draw it as a whole image, to ensure continuity, which is causing some performance issues – to be expected at that size…..roll on 2015 ( 256gb ram, 60TB ssd 6th generation hard drives, 64 core processors, etc..). 😀
P
Phosphor
Feb 4, 2009
Maybe you’d like to watch this video tour of Bert Monroy’s studio. <http://revision3.com/pixelperfect/athome/>

He works on some pretty big images, with tons of layers. Damen <http://www.bertmonroy.com/fineart/text/fineart_damen.htm>—his realistic rendering of a station in the Chicago Transit Authority system—had over 15,000 layers.

He’s using a Macintosh, but you may gain some clues about how he has his hardware set up.

His current big project is even bigger, and he seems to manage OK with conventional hardware. He also reveals some clues about how he breaks up his huge projects into more manageable smaller chunks.
<http://revision3.com/pixelperfect/2008-09-22SneakPreview/>
CF
chris_farrell
Feb 4, 2009
That’s really interesting,

Thank you for the link….
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 4, 2009
256GB of RAM? Seriously? What mobo, a Tyan? And 60TB of SSD had to set you back a bit in the pocketbbok!
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 4, 2009
Larry, Chris was just extrapolating to a future dreamland!
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 4, 2009
Duh!

I’m so gullible at times!
HH
Hugh Hansard
Feb 4, 2009
SSD for scratch disk, Has anyone tried it yet?

LH,

300dpi..

Think Fuji – and no, I don’t own a $30K printer. Outsourcing is my friend.

For 20×30, I use my Epson with K3 ink at 360dpi. Works pretty well… Anything larger goes outside.

H

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections