MS
Posted By
Marc_Stokes
Feb 1, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, i did search but failed to find any real answers.

When i run a Photomerge (using jpegs) i have even tried using the sample jpegs that come with the software of the SF skyline.
I select my images, and it runs the usual sequence of starting the layers and merging then when it ends its just dissappears looking like the software has just opend with nothing happening.
Ive tried every combination to make them work and nothing.

I am using CS4 btw, and ive also tried in CS3 again which is still installed on my partition. and its not working in that either. it used to work with no problems bit not now.

any ideas?

vista32 – 2gig ram – core2duo processor.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

HB
harold_berm
Feb 1, 2009
I’ve had a similar issue. PS CS4 seems to be chugging away but ends in just one image open (with just two layers – one named "photomerge").

The odd thing is that it works (somewhat) if I have the files open and select the ‘add open files’ option.
GA
George_Austin
Feb 3, 2009
I ran into one instance with Photomerge balking when initiated from Photoshop CS3 but behaving when initiated from Bridge. You might try that. (With all images to be merged showing in the Bridge preview panel, go to Tools>Photoshop>Photomerge.)
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 3, 2009
Actually, I always run PM that way, George.

Doesn’t everybody? 😀
GA
George_Austin
Feb 3, 2009
Either route is available. Didn’t realize one was preferred. Why there should be any difference in the result—if true—beats me!
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2009
I run it fine from cs3 desktop (not bridge).
HB
harold_berm
Feb 3, 2009
I never use Bridge.

It worked fine in CS3.
GA
George_Austin
Feb 4, 2009
CS3 improvements in Photomerge have been remarkable. It used to be unreliable and quirky and the sections were frequently misaligned at the seams.

Now it is wondrous, if not miraculous. Doesn’t even require that the shots to be pieced be taken on a tripod, and forgives modest differences in illumination.

I marvel each time it converts my sloppy hand-held shots into a seamless panorama with no intervention on my part except to crop the result and edit it as I would any normal single shot. Truly an engineering marvel!
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 4, 2009
totally agree george! photomerge and zoomify by photoshop cs3:

<http://milbut.org/boardwalkRoomView.html>
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 4, 2009
I have pretty much stopped using Pano tools, except in some specialized circumstances, of which I cannot recall! Oh, yes, PT does handle particularly difficult stitches;otoh, I’ve gotten perfect results with Photomerge when Panotools went "bleeech!"
K
KatWoman
Feb 4, 2009
thanks so much for the ZOOMIFY tip
never realized PS had that feature built in

and I always wondered how to make those 360 webshots, thought I would need special software

I don’t need panorama much as we do mostly portrait work but I did try photomerge on some vacation shots

…………just tried it on one….. FUN!!!

(had the ruby slippers all the time and didn’t know their powers)
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 4, 2009
………..just tried it on one….. FUN!!!

addicting too. pretty soon all your friends will be like: "enough! stop already!" 🙂
HM
hal myers
Mar 10, 2009
Had the same problem:
Solved by removing the preferences file.
ADOBE NOTES:
Re-create the Photoshop preferences file.

Re-create the Photoshop preferences file to eliminate problems that a damaged preferences file might cause.

Note: When you use this solution, Photoshop will create a new preferences file and you will lose custom settings associated with your current preferences file. However, the file you rename in step 2 is your original preferences file. If you determine that the preferences file is not causing the problem, then you can restore your custom settings by following the instructions below.

To re-create the Photoshop preferences file:

1. Quit Photoshop.
2. Rename the Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp file (for example, to Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp.old) in the Documents and Settings/[username]/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings folder.
3. Start Photoshop. Photoshop creates a new preferences file.

If the problem continues, the preferences file isn’t the cause. To restore custom settings, delete the new preferences file and restore the original name of the previous preferences file.
MS
Marc_Stokes
Mar 10, 2009
Haha Awesome, this fix worked. thank you so much.
HM
hal myers
Mar 10, 2009
I had a problem wwith photomerge stopping or crashing.
I removed the preferences file and let photoshop recreate a new one and this solved the problem. FROM ADOBE:
Re-create the Photoshop preferences file.

Re-create the Photoshop preferences file to eliminate problems that a damaged preferences file might cause.

Note: When you use this solution, Photoshop will create a new preferences file and you will lose custom settings associated with your current preferences file. However, the file you rename in step 2 is your original preferences file. If you determine that the preferences file is not causing the problem, then you can restore your custom settings by following the instructions below.

To re-create the Photoshop preferences file:

1. Quit Photoshop.
2. Rename the Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp file (for example, to Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp.old) in the Documents and Settings/[username]/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings folder.
3. Start Photoshop. Photoshop creates a new preferences file.

If the problem continues, the preferences file isn’t the cause. To restore custom settings, delete the new preferences file and restore the original name of the previous preferences file.
HB
harold_berm
Mar 10, 2009
I tried recreating the prefs file…same issue.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections