AT
Posted By
Amberly Taylor
Sep 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
someone told me to check f i was downloading the update or the program and i did, i downloaded the trial program here is the website: am i wrong ? < http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/download.jhtml?ftpID= 1917>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
Don McCahill
Sep 18, 2003
Have you, or some other person, loaded the trial before on that computer? What type of messages are you getting when you can’t get into the program?
AT
Amberly Taylor
Sep 18, 2003
well i got the computer from my uncle who uninstalled almost every program he had on the computer. I searched for adobeps7tryout and only one program file came up so i clicked on it but it said the same thing as when i tried to open it from my desktop. the icon on my desktop is a blue square with a white computer on it. is that the right one? the messages i get are the contents of this file cannot be unpacked, and the exectuable you are attempting to run has been corrupted, please obtain another cop yof this file, verify its integrity and try again.

hope that helps
sorry it took so long to get back to you
RS
Ryan Shelk
Sep 18, 2003
hey … im gettin something liek that … mine lets me unpack then it says it will bring up the setup screen but never does… it did once acutally and like you see the logo and the bar in th corner taht goes to 100 and it went then nothing comes up… is there a reason why the setup will never come up/work/finish all the way? thanks
AT
Amberly Taylor
Sep 18, 2003
have no clue. sorry, mine won’t even let me unpack
CB
Crystal Bixler
Sep 18, 2003
Mine had the same problem when I downloaded it. Exactly like what you said yours did Amberly. I was looking in the forums and I ran across this one that said there was something wrong with the auto extracter and you had to extract the files with winzip manually to a different folder and then go to the setup.exe in that folder. I did that and it unpacked and everything and then another little box came up and said it encountered problems and I clicked view output and it said adobePS7tryout.exe is corrupt. I tried to go to the folder and click setup.exe anyway and it wasn’t there. Did this happen to anyone else or did you figure yours out Amberly?
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Sep 18, 2003
Amberly,

It isn’t clear what you’re trying to do…are you wanting to try out PS7 or are you wanting to update the retail PS7 to the current version 7.01? The link you provided is strictly for downloading the demo version. While I’ve never used the demo, if you have been using it, found that it wouldn’t open again, and are trying to download and install it yet one more time, then I’m guessing the demo is time-limited and your tryout period is over. Reinstalling may not do any good, if the demo placed a time-tagged piece of data on your PC that it looks for on any reinstall attempt.

If you’re wanting to update a retail copy of PS7 to 7.01, then yes, you’re downloading the wrong thing and need to go to <http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/update.html>

Hope that helps,

Daryl
AT
Amberly Taylor
Sep 18, 2003
Daryl

I use photoshop at my internship I’m not sure which version, I was trying to download a version of ps7 that i don’t have to pay for for use at home. The link you provided took me to the update, but i need the trial version.

maybe i’ll take crystals advice

thank you

Amberly
AT
Amberly Taylor
Sep 18, 2003
do you have to download winzip?
AT
Amberly Taylor
Sep 18, 2003
ok thank you, when i get home (i’m still at school) i’ll try what crystal said, then if that doesn’t work i’ll contact my uncle.

thank you everyone
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Sep 18, 2003
Amberly,

Sorry if I didn’t understand exactly what you were trying to do…I guess you had a few threads split apart and the one I replied in wasn’t as full of information. Obviously one of the moderators has pulled everything into one thread now.

Yes, Crystal and El Theodore’s suggestions are the ones to follow. Most PCs these days seem to have Winzip or some similar utility available that allows you to decompress a zipped file into a folder. If not though, yes, you’ll want to download and install a copy of Winzip also. It’s worth doing since it is common to come across zipped (compressed) files on the net, from friends, etc. Fortunately you’ll not have to wait so long on that download, as the evaluation version is only 1.8MB. Here’s a link: <http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm>

As to the Photoshop trial, you do understand it is a time-limited demo don’t you? If you are wanting to use it at home for an extended time period, then you will eventually run into a roadblock of it having expired. If you can afford it (I know money can be tight when in school), you might consider getting a copy of Photoshop Elements which I believe is priced around $100. Or, if you can wait maybe a couple of months, Photoshop 8 should be appearing and you might be able to buy that for a slightly higher price on an educational discount. I believe the educational releases are priced around $150-200, and for that price I’d far prefer Photoshop to Photoshop Elements, especially if you can get PS8 for that price.

Good luck,

Daryl
AT
Amberly Taylor
Sep 18, 2003
knew about the time limit, but do you know if i download the trial now, can i get the educational release of ps8 in a couple of months? if i still have the trial folders on my computer will my it think i am trying to download another trial?
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 18, 2003
If your trial "timed out" you will not be able to use another installation of the trial version. Having the trial version isn’t related to discounts and such on any upcoming versions. My bet is that version 8 will be here within the next 4 weeks – sit tight. I have no personal knowledge of anything related to the next release of photoshop, it is an educated guess, nothing more.
AT
Amberly Taylor
Sep 19, 2003
hi downloaded winzip, but i’ve never used it before, so i don’t know what to do next. please help thanks
amberly
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 19, 2003
Install winzip. Then right click on the file you downloaded from Adobe. Choose Open with WinZip. Extract it to a temporary directory – one you’ll simply delete later. Once extracted, run the Setup.exe file.
AT
Amberly Taylor
Sep 19, 2003
think i just figured out my problem, i just assumed i was right about it before i downloaded it. The requirements say i need 128 MB of RAM i only have 64 MB and it said you need an intel III or 4 processor but i only have a II.

the rest of the qualifictions i have.

so that must be it.

also. winzip is confusing.

thanks everyone.

this sucks, i was reallly looking foward to having this too.

thanks again everyone for all your help, i should have realized this sooner.

Amberly Taylor

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections