Create a very large image from a small one.

JH
Posted By
Joshua_Henderson
Jan 30, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have created this image in PS CS4. < http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/32knucklehead32/?ac tion=view&current=WRAP6.jpg>
Then I took it and made this image. < http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/32knucklehead32/?ac tion=view&current=Wrap1.png>

The image on the boat looks great there but the truth is the original image is 400px X 400px and the boat is 33 feet long. So my problem is that when I blow up the 400px image to 33 feet it will be very pixelated.

I made the image by rendering clouds and so on on a 400px canvas. When I try to render clouds on a 33 foot canvas the clouds are so small the images does not come close to the same.

Bottom line is I need the 400px X 400px image to be 33 feet X 33 feet.

I hope I have explained this well enough for some one to understand my problem. Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bob Levine
Jan 30, 2009
Bottom line is I need the 400px X 400px image to be 33 feet X 33 feet.

Even Photoshop CSI would have trouble with that.

In short, ain’t gonna happen.

Bob
JH
Joshua_Henderson
Jan 31, 2009
Thanks.
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 31, 2009
Would be better if done in Illustrator, then you can size it to any size you wish.
DS
Dennis_S
Jan 31, 2009
I assume you are preparing this to send to a company that makes decals? If so, the best thing would be to talk to them to get suggestions on pixels-per-inch and so on for the image.

Normally, when images like this are going to be blown up to large sizes (like billboards), they are also going to be viewed from a fairly large distance. This means that you can get away with much lower resolutions than normal – possible as low as 10-20 pixels per inch. Just taking 20 PPI as an example, for you case that would be 33 feet X 12 inches X 20 PPI. That would mean an image approximately 7,920 pixels – a large image but not impossible.

At that size you should be able to make the cloud render work to your satisfaction. If not, get as close as your can with the render and then do an upsample to the final resolution using bicubic smoother and if that still produces too much pixelation at the final resolution, use some gaussian blur. The swirls don’t have fine details so blurring should remove the pixelation without harming the overall effect.
JH
Joshua_Henderson
Feb 1, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be using a company like this. <http://www.jaxwraps.com/Our_Services/Boat_Wraps.aspx> I am sure they will be able to achieve this before I will.
A
Art
Feb 2, 2009
Dennis is right in saying you don’t usually need ultrafine resolution for very large objects.

He suggests ten to twenty dots per inch is plenty. Not only is he right, but even that may be overkill. I created a 48 foot wide billboard image 4000 pixels wide; that’s 4k divided by 576 inches, about 7 dpi.

Turns out that, even with the sharp edges of black text on white background, 7dpi is enough detail that you simply can not get close enough to the billboard to see pixels. Standing right under it isn’t enough; you’d have to climb up and stand right on the billboard. And the places a typical billboard is placed are generally only viewable from a substantial distance; in such cases 4 dpi is really plenty.

Most people viewing the boat will be a long distance away, too, but unlike a billboard, there will be people seeing it very close. Still, 10 dpi would be plenty good for that. At 33 feet, or 396 inches, a 4000-dot-wide graphic would be more than enough.

It would obviously be best for you to re-do the graphic and rasterize into a 4k wide image, but your graphic does not feature a lot of sharp edges. 400 dots is awfully small for a master, so you’ll end up with about 1 inch pixels, but if you upconvert to 4000 wide, then apply blur, you might be able to erase most of the pixelation without damaging your graphic too much.

Try cropping your picture down to a ten by ten pixel image. Upconvert that to 100 by 100, then zoom it until it’s about full width on your screen, about a foot across. That will be a small section of actual size image. Try a little blurring there to see if it might work.

Incidentally, just as a pixel-size reference, the world’s biggest LED billboard, on the Times Square Walgreens store, uses a dot pitch of 10mm at the bottom, where people can get close, but at the top the pitch is 24mm. That’s only about 1dpi at the top, and fewer than 3dpi down at street level.

wrote in message
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be using a company like this. <http://www.jaxwraps.com/Our_Services/Boat_Wraps.aspx> I am sure they will be able to achieve this before I will.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections