D
Posted By
davidarkin
Jan 26, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just unstakked CS4, but my video cardNividia 7300 GT ONLY HAS 250 mb OF MEMORY. There are some functions of GL functions (3D) that cannot be used. Also, occasionally Photoshop shuts off the enhanced GPU functions and most important, even when it is in use there is NOT the smooth zooming from increasing or decreasing the size of the image.

I realize I should be using 512 MB on a video card. Adobe has a listing of cards that work with this new function but their prices anfd functions vary greatly. I will NOT be using 3D functions for graphics and use the computer for gaming. This is mainly for the new advanced functions in Photoshop.

Does ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCED WITH THE LISTED CARDS (Technical note from Adobe)

I know I need 512 MB and open GL 2.0, but not the most advanced and expensive card. Any choices between nividia or ATI for CS4

thank you….david

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

HB
harold_berm
Jan 27, 2009
I also have a 250 meg 7300 GT, works pretty well here. I do have the latest drivers. There are some GL settings not available, but scrolling is smooth as is brush resizing. I have had the GL auto disable (before even opening an image) but not so much lately.

Could it be some issue aside from the vid card?

I’m going to wait on updating the card, there seem to be some GL issues regardless of cards/drivers.
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Jan 27, 2009
Apparently the 7300GT has a hardware issue as noted in this Adobe bulletin: <http://www.adobe.com/go/kb405711>

"Note: Due to technical issues we enable OpenGL for the 7300GT, but we had to disable Advanced Drawing and 3D Acceleration."

The bulletin seems to indicate it is applicable only on a Mac but apparently also has issues on Windows. I have a 7300GS and some GL setting are also unavailable in Photoshop’s preferences.
HB
harold_berm
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks for the info, Wolf…hadn’t noticed that before. How are the enabled functions working for you?
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Jan 27, 2009
To make Photoshop stable I had to change the NVIDIA 3D settings to Performance (instead of Quality). With OpenGL enabled using the Text tool is somewhat awkward since the text displays seconds after typing. The text typing resumes to normal with OpenGl off.

All the OpenGl functions seem to operate OK, with only the occasional Photoshop burb (usually with several large documents open).

I’ll likely upgrade to a different video card when a sale presents itself.
HB
harold_berm
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks for the info, will have to try the text tool…something I don’t normally use.
D
davidarkin
Jan 27, 2009
Thank you for all answering. The question is ..if I don’t really care about 3D, but want to get the smoothness of increeasing and decreasing the size of the image, with the top roller. What card makes sense. The high end cards are so expensive and I don’t really want to over do it when I purchase a new one, if I do. Any thughts?
david
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Jan 28, 2009
Adobe has published a list of tested cards but there is no guarantee they will work on your system. This OpenGL stuff is new to CS4 and also requires that the driver software support more than silly games.

<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb405711>
HB
harold_berm
Jan 28, 2009
I’d wait until the whole issue is better sorted.
RL
roger_leale
Jan 28, 2009
Hi David,
I have the same card installed and the smooth zooming and rotation are working as they should. Are you aware that a new driver has been released for the 7300 series? 181.22 issued 22nd January 2009!

Roger
D
davidarkin
Feb 4, 2009
Thanks: i uploaded the new driver and still have occasional GPU errors an not the smoothness of making the image larger and smaller. I don’t think it’s there yet. I realize that I propably can’t get the 3D effects with this card, but there are so many cards that Adobe says are working with PS4 and quite a range of functions and prices.

Any thoughts?….david

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections