EM
Posted By
Edwin_Matzner
Jan 25, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am in CS2 on an XP PROF machine, 500 GB HD, 3 GB RAM. Everything is working except the rectangular select tool: after selecting a rectangle on a one-layer image, the cursor stays as a little cross instead of the moving arrow that I am accustomed to. So I cannot move the selection, clicking the mouse just starts another rectangle.

I repaired CS2 from the Control Panel, then updated CS2 for a long time, etc. When through, same trouble remains.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 25, 2009
Edwin,

First reset the preferences. Shut down PS and go into the My Documents\Application Data\Andobe\Photoshop… path and find the (…)preference.psp file.

Delete that. Your PS should then behave as factory default.

Since this file is created upon first launch, and not during install, it’s going to be there after a reinstall.

Also check the forum FAQ about this.

Rob
EM
Edwin_Matzner
Jan 25, 2009
Hi – I have 4 \application data\ folders (under \all users\, \my name\, \administrator’s documents\ etc. Only one of the \adobe\ subfolders contains \photoshop\ and it is \adobe photoshop cs3\ which contains settings\ and preset\ folders and files, but no preference.psp
I never installed cs3, I don’t even have it. When I search for a preference file, no preference.psp comes up

What to do next?
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 25, 2009
turn on hidden files and folders in windows explorer to be able to see the preferences folder and files…
PR
Paul_R
Jan 25, 2009
Save this one line script with a text editor as fileName.jsx then from Photoshop File – Scripts – Browse to where you saved the script.
When run it will open the folder containing all the Photoshop preference files.

Folder(app.preferencesFolder).execute();
K
KatWoman
Jan 25, 2009
CAPS LOCK KEY may have changed cursor view?
TRY THAT b4 all the other
EM
Edwin_Matzner
Jan 26, 2009
Paul R. where is Photoshop File?
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 26, 2009
info on the preferences file in this faq:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
EM
Edwin_Matzner
Jan 26, 2009
Have deleted .psp file – no help. Have reset all tools – no help. Have checked caps lock – no help. A rectangular selection can still not be moved. However, if I click Select > Transform selection, it is framed and I can rotate it or move it. After moving it with the frame and all, pushing enter, the selection is where I want it. The hard way seems the only way to move selections ?!
H
Ho
Jan 27, 2009
You remember that you have to move the cursor *inside* the selection rectangle to move it, right? AND, that if any of the selection tool options are active (Add, Subtract, Intersect, etc.) then moving won’t work. The only option that can be active is New Selection.
EM
Edwin_Matzner
Jan 27, 2009
Thank you, Ho. You are a genius, and I am richly rewarded for using the forum.
H
Ho
Jan 27, 2009
Thank you, Ho. You are a genius…

Yeah, I hear that a lot. 🙂

I am richly rewarded for using the forum.

We all are. Have a good day.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections