C
Posted By
clbody
Jan 15, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Photoshop 7.0 primarily for drawing. I’m currently working on a monotone drawing that must be reproduced in different "tints".

My issue is that a file I created of an image in a brown tint is about 10X as big as several other files of the same image in different tints.

The image with the brown tint (RGB mode) is 95Mb when files of the same image in the same color mode but with different tints (red, purple, blue) are only 10Mb.

Why the discrepancy in filesize when everything (size, transparency, location, color mode, etc) but the tint is exactly the same?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
PeterK.
Jan 15, 2009
Need more info. How did you create each file? How many layers? Bit-depth? What file format and options did you save it with?
P
Phosphor
Jan 15, 2009
Tell us the width and height measurements of the big file and the small file, expressing the dimensions in pixel values.

Ignore inches or centimeters for the time being. Ignore resolution, too.
K
KatWoman
Jan 15, 2009

7.0 had some file saving issues
did you install the 7.01 update?
C
clbody
Jan 16, 2009
The original drawing was colored with blacks and grays. I then put the final colored drawing and line art as one layer into a new file, and got rid of the "background" layer.

I then went to channels and loaded channel as a selection and on a new layer, filled in the selection with a solid color. What this did is turn the blacks that color at 100% opacity with grays coming in as that color at a lower opacity.

I did this for each new color/tint on a new layer.

When saving, I simply deleted the original gray-tone drawing and colors I did not want, leaving me with the colored layer I did as well as a solid color layer beneath – the color of the surface the image would be printed on.

All of those files were 8-bit images, RGB mode, 3300 X 6000px, 300dpi, 2 layers (the translucent drawing and the surface color), saved as .psd files, boxes layers, icc profile, and lower-case extensions all checked.

While not all exactly the same file size, they were pretty close, ranging from 10-10.2Mb.

The "brown tint" file was created at a later date, but using the same process (from start to finish) and same options. Everything that I have thought to have checked, including the suggestions above are exactly the same.

It’s file size is 95Mb. And it makes no sense to me why.

I even copied and pasted the images into new files without the background layer, and the brown tint file size is about 5X as big as the rest.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections