SP
Posted By
Square Peg
Jan 14, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to learn to do some graphics and photo editing for personal use. I am wondering which product I need. I am inclined to get Elements and then see if I need more than that.

I want to do some basic photo editing such as red eye reduction, contrast enhancement, cropping, and scaling.

I would alse like to do some special effects such as creating a photo collage in the shape of a child’s name for framing or printing on placemats, mugs, or t-shirts.

I have a little experience with graphic programs such as Visio (mostly for flowcharts), Paint, PageMaker (many years ago), and Publisher.

What does the full Photoshop have that Elements does not that I might need?

Finally, the Elements NG seems fairly quiet. Can questions about Elements be posted in a.p.windows?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
bmoag
Jan 14, 2009
I am a CS4 user.
I find Elements useless.
You may want to look into Paintshop Pro.
SP
Square Peg
Jan 14, 2009
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 20:37:07 -0800, "bmoag"
wrote:

I am a CS4 user.
I find Elements useless.
You may want to look into Paintshop Pro.

Can you say what it is that is lacking in Elements that is present in Paintshop Pro?
C
Cliff
Jan 14, 2009
Square Peg wrote:

I would like to learn to do some graphics and photo editing for personal use. I am wondering which product I need. I am inclined to get Elements and then see if I need more than that.

I want to do some basic photo editing such as red eye reduction, contrast enhancement, cropping, and scaling.

I would alse like to do some special effects such as creating a photo collage in the shape of a child’s name for framing or printing on placemats, mugs, or t-shirts.

Elements is a good choice under these circumstances. Inexpensive (compared to PS and LR), very robust photo editing capabilities, a little lacking in vector graphics capabilities, and database management for cataloging and rating photos. IMO, a great learning tool and a first time image editing program. Some people stick with it forever.

If you decide on PSE, I would recommend staying away from Ver. 6 and go with Ver. 7. V6 was somewhat buggy and V7 cleaned up some of the problems.

Cliff

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections