Posted By
contact
Jan 11, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,

Can anyone help me with recommendation of size of slices?

THe reason i ask is that i have just sliced black box with rounded corners, hence i slice the four corners and used css to change the background color of the rest of the box – so as not to export square items (as css can do this with changing the color only).

The reason i am asking is that we are now in age of DSL and high speed internet so maybe i should have sliced the whole image rather than the four corners?

This is where i get a little confused, of course the way i do it works but is it correct?

I have also noticed some sites are using a "LARGE" background image in there CSS which contains content holders (with square corners) etc… which i think is great, but does the file size / speed suffer

Once i have sliced and exported my images is it better to always put the images in as background images (within divs) rather than images thenselves?

Any advice anyone can offer would be really appreciated.

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
contact
Jan 11, 2009
Hi again,

would also love to know who is actually using Photoshop to design there site and then importing it into Fireworks CS4 to do the slicing..

FW CS4 seems to have more control, as well as over the CSS as well i.e. CSS in external file etc, absolute positiong etc

If anyone has any comments i would really appreciate hearing then..
M
Mylenium
Jan 12, 2009
Depends on what format you use for saving the slices, mostly. I usually use JPEG with about 65% quality settings, but I’m also still using a lot of GIF for getting uniform colors across the board (as HTML colors and images may have a difference in Gamma on some monitors). I never really use PNG. In your case, a GIF with 16 colors or so would probably be the best solution . The LZW compression can make your file ridiculously small and you could use the whole image even without slicing it up (saves you from having to futz with tons of extra tables just to hold things together). I don’t use Fireworks, though. Since my site is now PHP-based and the mighty Adobe tools don’t have any way of interactively previewing this stuff, it has not much use. I’m always uploading the images directly to my est server and manually edit the code in DW.

Mylenium

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections