LA
Posted By
Lenore_Abboud
Jan 9, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I open or place a new layer BELOW the ORIGINAL. I have tried dragging and that doesn’t work. I have tried control/click when I create a layer and that doesn’t work. I have seen it done on a video tutorial but I can’t remember how they did it.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Jan 9, 2009
double click the background layer in the layers palette to convert it from a background to a normal layer. then create your new layer wherever you want.

you can’t be in indexed color mode when doing that (gif file).
H
Ho
Jan 9, 2009
And once you’ve done what dave said, you can control-click the new layer icon in the Layers Palette to create a new layer below the current one (or whichever one is currently highlighted if you have more than one).
LA
Lenore_Abboud
Jan 9, 2009
Thank you so much! You wouldn’t believe how many places I have asked this question and everyone kept telling me to DRAG the layers but of course the background layer was locked and I couldn’t figure out how to UNLOCK it. Anyway . . . thanks
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 9, 2009
you’re welcome! 🙂
LS
Lara_Shots
Jan 10, 2009
"…You wouldn’t believe how many places I have asked this question and everyone kept telling me to DRAG the layers but of course the background layer was locked…"

Ohhhh, YES, I would believe it! 😀 LOL! I can’t tell you the # of times I did something similar and could not, for the life of me, figure out why "photoshop wasn’t working"! 😛

Then my eye spotted the lock on the layer… hahahah!!
GLAD you got this sorted, (and even MORE glad that someone besides me had this ‘problem’!) 😉
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 10, 2009
my favorite when i was starting out was "what happened to my cursor? why is it a little cross hair instead of brush shape?!!"
LA
Lenore_Abboud
Jan 10, 2009
regarding "where’s my cursor" . . . Been there and have done that one too! You guys are great. Glad I found this forum because I am sure I will be back! Have a great weekend.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 10, 2009
same to you lenore! glad you found us! 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections