PS
Posted By
peter_skrepnik
Jan 4, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone tell me what proof settings to use in cs4?I use adobe rgb exclusively,and my monitor is profiled with a spyder2.What I’m confused about is what should be my default proof settings.I’ve looked through the posts,but all I see are issue about conversion to srgb for web use and print proofing.
What I need to know is what settings to use for everyday editing.The default is working cmyk,which doesn’t seem right as most people seem to be using srgb or adobe rgb.Do I use windows rgb,or adobe rgb (already set in edit>color settings) or monitor rgb?And if monitor,then would it be:device to simulate:spyder2express?(my monitor profile)
should it be set to:preserve rgb numbers,or set to rendering intent? I think I understand print proofing,I can see the differences when selecting a profile for my r1800,but when I went to set it back after printing,I realized I don’t really understand the settings.
Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RL
roger_leale
Jan 4, 2009
The proof settings should be set to the output you are editing for. That is, if you are going to print the result on say a Canon i9500, using Ilford paper, you should be proofing to the profile that Ilford provide for this paper/printer combination. What do you mean by ‘settings for everyday editing’?

Roger
PS
peter_skrepnik
Jan 4, 2009
Okay,lets say I’ve printed something,set proof to my paper profile,then say I never,ever want to print anything again…or post to the web,just keep everything in adobe rgb,what do I set proof setttings too?If I uncheck proof,nothing appears to change,so now I’m not sure what’s going on.If I look at proof settings,custom is still checked,at the moment it’s my calibrated monitor profile.There is a lot of contrast change between windows rgb vs adobe and monitor rgb and some color shift as well.
PS
peter_skrepnik
Jan 4, 2009
Okay,I’ve tried some other images and see more difference between proof checked and unchecked,I guess it was a fluke that the one i looked at showed little difference either way.One thing I’m still uncertain about is that there is a shift when proof is set to monitor or adobe rgb,since my cameras output is in adobe rgb,color space is adobe rgb,and the monitor is calibrated,so I would think that one of those settings shouldn’t show any shift between proof on or off,but there is still a slight shift….
Maybe it’s like double profiling when printing with an icc profile? I think I’ve made something very simple, complicated….at least for me.
SD
Simon_Doyle
Jan 5, 2009
Hi Peter,
I think there may be some confusion here: proofing (to me at least) is looking at the output version of your work (or a prototype of that if soft-proofing) under specific conditions – taking the ink, paper, printer etc. into the equation – to see that it looks like what you have on screen.
"Proof" in this case is used in its sense of "test", as in the expression, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating", or in a rocket "proving ground".
When you suggest that you don’t want to print or publish to the web, how can you "proof" anything? You aren’t testing it for any specific purpose, so there is no way to gauge how it will look when you use it, and there is no "general purpose" test which could cover all possible outcomes.
If you are happy with how your art displays on your monitor, and that is all you will ever do with it, then you needn’t introduce a proofing stage at all.
Regards,

Simon
PS
peter_skrepnik
Jan 5, 2009
Okay thanks.I got confused when I saw ‘monitor rgb’ in the list.Actually I still don’t know why that would even be in there….
SD
Simon_Doyle
Jan 6, 2009
I don’t know, but I would suppose that is there so that anyone working primarily in a CMYK environment could test how their art prepared under one set of conditions will look when it is used on a standard RGB monitor? It would let them know if the colour was appropriate for showing on the web, or for screen-based client presentations perhaps?

Maybe someone else can shed light on this?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections