J
Posted By
jeffc
Jan 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help! I need some advice manipulating jpg and camera raw images in CS3 on Windows XP because I lack the necessary experience.

I’ve taken some photos of stains left by autumn leaves on a concrete pavement, and I have two problems with the images: first, there isn’t a large contrast between the colours of the brown stains and the grey concrete slabs, and second, the edges of the leaf stains are ill-defined. What I’m trying to do is separate the leaf marks from the concrete so that I can then treat them as separate objects, but I think there’s probably a better way of doing the job than anything I’ve found so far, which is that I’m not having much success with the Quick Selection or Lassoo tools: I always end up with too much or too little selected. Can anybody advise how they’d go about doing this sort of job? A couple of thoughts I had: is it possible to select parts of an image based on colours: in other words, use a colour dropper to select the greys of the concrete but not the browns of the leaves, or the other way round? Is there a technique for temporarily radically changing the colours of the images so that sections become easier to select?

Thanks for any hints you can offer.

Jacques

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

K
KatWoman
Jan 3, 2009
"jacques" wrote in message
Help! I need some advice manipulating jpg and camera raw images in CS3 on
SNIP
: is it possible to select
parts of an image based on colours: in other words, use a colour dropper to select the greys of the concrete but not the browns of the leaves,

at bottom of layer palette>>half moon> selective color allows to amnipulate by color
use the drop down

sometimes this alters too much in other colors
you can try SELECT>color range
use eye dropper to choose the color
move slider to see how well it slected

OR in ACR RAW dialog
before you even get into photoshop
I thnk it’s the 3 or 4 tab it has sliders to adjust each color

the sahrpen tool inthere can maybe help definet he edges better failing that you might try a filter like "find edges ‘ on a dupe layer above your original image
then use a blend mode to combine them
blend mode is in layer palette (normal >see dropdown box)

another way to enhance edges
dupe the image
use filters>other>high pass
put layer on overlay

Jacques
J
jeffc
Jan 3, 2009
Thanks KatWoman – that’s been really useful: I’ve had real success with your suggestions for Select>Color Range and High Pass – feel at last as though I’m making progress! Thanks very much for your input!

Jacques

"KatWoman" wrote in message
Help! I need some advice manipulating jpg and camera raw images in CS3 on
SNIP
: is it possible to select
parts of an image based on colours: in other words, use a colour dropper to select the greys of the concrete but not the browns of the leaves,

at bottom of layer palette>>half moon> selective color allows to amnipulate by color
use the drop down

sometimes this alters too much in other colors
you can try SELECT>color range
use eye dropper to choose the color
move slider to see how well it slected

OR in ACR RAW dialog
before you even get into photoshop
I thnk it’s the 3 or 4 tab it has sliders to adjust each color
the sahrpen tool inthere can maybe help definet he edges better failing that you might try a filter like "find edges ‘ on a dupe layer above your original image
then use a blend mode to combine them
blend mode is in layer palette (normal >see dropdown box)
another way to enhance edges
dupe the image
use filters>other>high pass
put layer on overlay

Jacques

K
KatWoman
Jan 4, 2009
Thanks KatWoman – that’s been really useful: I’ve had real success with your suggestions for Select>Color Range and High Pass – feel at last as though I’m making progress! Thanks very much for your input

you are welcome

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections