Upgrade from 5.0 to 9.0 worked before, now it won’t …

RN
Posted By
ross_nichols
Jan 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A little over a year ago I purchased and installed the CS2 upgrade to my old (5.0) version of Photoshop. Even though the upgrade was supposed to be for 5.5 and up, Adobe Tech Support walked me through the back door (may have been a regedit change, but I can’t remember) to allow the upgrade.

I have bought a new computer, so I de-activated the copy on my old computer, then installed the full version of 5.0 on my new machine and attempted to install the CS2 upgrade.

When I got to the stage where the program advised the upgrade wouldn’t work (once again, the upgrade is for 5.5 and up, but this wasn’t an issue with Adobe last time) I reached out to Tech Support online, opening up a TSCase.

Tech Support advised it had to be unlocked over the phone by Customer Service.

I have supsequently been bounced around the globe during several calls by a number of Cust Service reps who have advised everything from "CS2 won’t work on Vista" to "It’s a valid serial number, so use the trial version for a couple of days then call back and we’ll unlock it." My last rep said it was a Tech Support problem.

A few minutes ago Tech Support told me my only option was the forums, where an Adobe TS would respond, since there’s no more verbal/telephone support for CS2.

I understand time marches on, but would like to keep using CS2. I was walked through the upgrade process before, but now I’m on my own it seems.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
Jan 2, 2009
Nobody here can help you. You need to be walked through this by Adobe. You should have been given a case number the first time you did this to make it easier the second time. That’s a number that should have been safely tucked away with the serial number.

Bob
RN
ross_nichols
Jan 2, 2009
Thanks, Bob.

Just following the advice of the last Tech Support guy I talked with, who said Adobe TS reps monitored the forum and would reply (like Mamiya does, I suppose). New to the forums, so it seems I don’t know how this works…
G
gowanoh
Jan 2, 2009
I believe tech support is referring to the support forums on adobe.com . . . .. . .
If you know anyone with an installation disc for PS5.5 or above you can use this when CS2 looks for a valid earlier copy of PS before it will install. It is an open secret that many users enter the PS upgrade cycle in this manner because the initial cost of PS, if you are not upgrading, is even more insane and less based on real value than what Microsoft charges for its problematic OSes. In fact, given how bug ridden Bridge remains in CS3 and CS4, it would appear Adobe has taken Microsoft’s approach to releasing faulty software.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 2, 2009
This is not a tech support issue, it’s a customer support issue.

Bob
RN
ross_nichols
Jan 2, 2009
Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections