Posted By
Robert_Barnett
Jan 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I hope everyone had happy and safe holidays. Welcome to 2009.

I have a friend with a Pentium 4 system and she wants to run Photoshop CS4 Extended on it. Right now it only has 1GB of ram and while she plans to buy a new system later this year, she would like to use the one she has now. She can install another 1GB of ram, however the system requirements for PSCS4E only states a 2GHz or faster processor. It doesn’t state a minium specific kind of processor.

So my question is will Photoshop CS4 Extended run on a fast Pentium 4 machine with 2GB of RAM, Windows XP Pro?

Thanks,

Robert

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PB
Peter_Banks
Jan 2, 2009
I would suggest that a Pentium 4 would be too slow. I have an old P4 notebook here belonging to my daughter which she now doesn’t use and it has CS3 which is quite slow.
My own machines are all Quad core running CS4 with16Gb Ram and making use of the GPU and that is as fast as you can get at present. I need this for my large photos using the Gigapan camera with files in the gigabyte range.

Peter Banks
NZ

wrote in message
Hello,

I hope everyone had happy and safe holidays. Welcome to 2009.
I have a friend with a Pentium 4 system and she wants to run Photoshop CS4 Extended on it. Right now it only has 1GB of ram and while she plans to buy
a new system later this year, she would like to use the one she has now. She
can install another 1GB of ram, however the system requirements for PSCS4E only states a 2GHz or faster processor. It doesn’t state a minium specific kind of processor.

So my question is will Photoshop CS4 Extended run on a fast Pentium 4 machine with 2GB of RAM, Windows XP Pro?

Thanks,

Robert

RB
Robert_Barnett
Jan 2, 2009
I have no doubt it is going to be slow, but I need to know if it will install and run. I know it won’t install with less than 2GB the installer gives a warning message and then exits. My own Quad Core machine is just barely acceptable in my opinion I can’t imagine anything but hair pulling with a P4, but it is what she has for right now.

Robert
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 2, 2009
Peter…PLEASE turn off the autoquote in your newsreader.

Bob
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 2, 2009
It’s very likely to be painfully slow for all but the smallest of graphics. Even then I wouldn’t want to be the one sitting in front of that machine trying to use Photoshop.

But, why not install the trial and see how that goes?

Bob
RS
Robert_Shomler
Jan 2, 2009
I know it won’t install with less than 2GB the installer gives a warning message and then exits.

Curious. I have a three year old HP laptop with 1GB RAM. CS4 installed with no problem.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Jan 2, 2009
Bob, the problem is without knowing if it will install and run she doesn’t want to spend the money on the ram. Since Adobe doesn’t state with the requirements anything more than "2GHz or faster processor" and since a friend of mine wasn’t able to install until he added 2GB of ram to his system we both want to make sure that it will install on a P4. Once we know that she can then decide if she wants to spend the money on the extra ram. If it won’t install on a P4 (the installer like with the less than 2GB of RAM won’t let it) then buying the extra ram is moot and would be a waste of money.

Robert
RB
Robert_Barnett
Jan 2, 2009
Maybe it has something to do with it being installed through the Master Collection installer. That is why my other friend bought and the installer wouldn’t let him install anything with less than 2GB of RAM.

Robert
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 2, 2009
The MC requirements are stated as the lowest requirement for the most demanding apps…on the Mac side it requires an Intel Mac.

I still say download the demo and give it a whirl. If it installs and is somewhat usable the RAM should help.

Two gigs of RAM can be had for song right now.

Bob
RB
Robert_Barnett
Jan 2, 2009
Yah, ram is very cheap. I am going to make the move to Vista 64-bit and just bought 8GB (4 2GB modules) for less than $100. Hard drives too are cheap. I am adding two more 1 TB drives to my alread 8 1TB drives for $140. Cheap, cheap, cheap. I will have her try the trial.

Robert
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 2, 2009
CS4 runs just fine on my P4 3.0 GHz machine with 2GB RAM. As my graphics card is not on the GPU list I have to do without the GPU bling, but then again I’m not having any of the GPU problems that seem to be annoying some people with newer machines.

CS4 runs as fast if not faster than CS3 on my machine.

I was going to update to an i7, but am hanging off until I’m happy that CS4 won’t start giving trouble then.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Jan 3, 2009
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. She is downloading the trial now and will try it out. If it works with the P4 and 1GB of RAM she will get the second GB of ram and that will get her started until she can get the new computer.

Robert

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections