TV
Posted By
Tim_ver
Jan 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can not find the next step for completing a transparent image (Jpeg file) in Photoshop CS version 10. I remember in the last version you used the magic wand to select areas and then hit help and in the drop down selected convert to transparent image and it would take you through the next step by steps. I can not find this how do I complete this now in the new version?

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
Silkrooster
Jan 2, 2009
The magic wand creates a selection, For you to see transparency, your background layer must be unlocked by double clicking on the layer in the layers panel. While you see the marching ants selection you have two choices for the transparency, one is to hit the delete key and remove the portion selected permanently or you can create a mask (Layer>Layer mask>Reveal selection) which is non destructive.
For either method to work the layer must be unlocked which I mentioned earlier and when your done you must save in a format other than jpeg that will support transparency. Yep thats right jpeg does not support transparency. If it is for the web you can use png or gif. If it is for print then psd, tiff, and tga are good candidates.
TV
Tim_ver
Jan 2, 2009
Ok thanks.

I thought that when you selected sections with the wand they were the ones the would go away, ie the background? When I do this now I have to select the text and not background for it to make the background transparent. Very weird. Am I missing anything?

Thanks
M
Mylenium
Jan 2, 2009
Well, selections are – umm – selections. You can do whatever you want with them, including deleting them or filling them with different colors. Forgive me for saying this, but you seem to have considerable gaps in your understanding of PS basic principles, so I would suggest that an afternoon reading the manual is time well spent…

Mylenium

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections