B
Posted By
BF
Jan 1, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I realize that most posts on newsgroups are about problems they are having, but I would like to hear from some people that aren’t having problems with CS4, if there are any. What do you like about it and what improvements are useful.

Thanks,
Bill

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

G
gowanoh
Jan 1, 2009
CS4 is an evolution of CS3 but not a radical change.
I like CS4 but so far I fail to see it as an indispensable upgrade, unless you get a new dSLR and Adobe will only support its raw format in its newest version of Photoshop (the Adobe version of "gotcha") The GUI accelerated functions are a first for a commercial program but add liitle to speed or functionality. I hope Adobe will continue to work on tapping the GUI for accelerating parallel processing because processing static images would seem ideal for that.
Changes to the desktop are just changes: I personally fail to see how they improve productivity since I have to change some of the workflow processes that were consistent in the last 4 versions of Photoshop. Those desktop changes are comparable to the arbitrary changes Microsoft and Apple make when the come out with a "new" OS so you will be convinced it is indeed "new".
Rather than unifying the ACR and the desktop Adobe has shovelled more into the ACR that works differently but does the same thing as what is available on the desktop. This forces users to learn arcane and poorly documented procedures for two workspaces within the same program.
Poor documentation remains the bugaboo of Photoshop. If you read different "experts" you will find wildly different explanations of how tools work and how to use them. More than one set of tools visually, and I presume mathematically, can be used to arrive at the same effect. Many tools are difficult to use simply because the naming conventions are unintuitive and non-descriptive, a throwback to the geek/wonk days of computing. The most comparable situation I can think of is how the morons who programmed Vista have named the controls for sharing Vista folders on a network.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections