HP
Posted By
Hashim_Padiyath
Dec 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Adobe PhotoShop CS3 Windows version where is the "export as transparent image" feature which was there in the Help Menu earlier? Or is there some other of achieving the same result?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

HB
harold_berm
Dec 23, 2008
Now that you mention it, I do remember that command…sort of.

You can just save, save as or save for web in an image format that supports transparency.
P
Phosphor
Dec 23, 2008
That was done away with, probably a good thing. Better to learn to make and Save transparent images properly. You can Save As gif or PNG or use Save for Web. Tiff and psd can also be Saved with transparency.
RS
Richard_Simon
Dec 25, 2008
think saving as png is the best idea.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 25, 2008
I think saving as png is the best idea.

Provided you are aware of the problems with IE.
P
Phosphor
Dec 25, 2008
Hashim hasn’t said what the final output will be used for, so we don’t even know whether PNG is the best or proper format to use.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 25, 2008
Provided you are aware of the problems with IE

<johnny Rotten>IE? AAAAAIII EEEEE ?!??</Johnny Rotten>

Or do you mean Iire Eox?

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Rob
W
WhoDunnit
Dec 25, 2008
"John Joslin" wrote in message
I think saving as png is the best idea.

Provided you are aware of the problems with IE.

FWIW IE now supports PNG
you must have the latest version of IE (7) installed
if you use auto updates you have it
P
Phosphor
Dec 25, 2008
I believe what John is referring to is IE 6 and before’s inability to display transparency properly in PNG. I don’t believe there is any such issue with Firefox.
M
Markinboone
Jan 20, 2009
In reply to Ed: The export transparent image wizard was not an improper way to save images, it was simply an easier interface to process the image. Those who are capable of comprehending all the settings to get a transparent image rendered for the right target (web vs. print), are the technical types who will likely create their own macros (or Actions) to do most of the steps for them. I think it was a mistake to take away a very useful command from the PhotoShop interface. There should be a way to plug it back in in the current versions.
P
Phosphor
Jan 20, 2009
It is improper when you do something without knowing what you are doing, which IMHO, is what the wizard was all about.
EJ
E_Juhl
Feb 23, 2009
That’s baloney, Ed, "IMHO."

Most of us don’t fully understand how Photoshop goes about applying JPEG compression algorithms. By your reasoning it would be "improper" for us to save files as JPEGs. I’m just glad that this functionality is built in so that I easily take advantage of the functionality.

Of course there’s added value in knowing how to save an image in the format best suited to one’s purpose. But the people who miss the wizard are just looking for functionality that has suited them well in the past. What authority do you have to deem this "improper"?
B
Buko
Feb 23, 2009
Sorry understanding Jpeg compression algorithms and know how to make a transparent image without a Wizard are two different things. Pro apps shouldn’t have Wizards.
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 23, 2009
Pro apps shouldn’t have Wizards.

Agreed! A good workman understands his tools.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections