AW
Posted By
Andrew_Werber
Dec 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I took a series of photos that would make a nice animated GIF if I can align the pictures. Of course, I could try to do this by eye, but it would not work very well. Is there a way I can use photoshop to line up the pictures so they superimpose properly to make the animated GIF?

Thanks again,
Andy (the beginner)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Dec 23, 2008
I don’t think so. I’m afraid it will have to be done manually, unless there is a new featuree I don’t know about.

Are the backgrounds all the same? If so you can align them by setting layers to Difference. Elements that are the same will be blacked out and you can use the arrow keys to align.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 23, 2008
You could align them using File > Automate > Photomerge > Reposition

Then make an animation from the layers.

Just an idea; I never tried it!
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 23, 2008
The way I would align the images is to make the top layer have 50% transparency, then line it up, then go back to 100% and move onto the next layer.

Time consuming for a long animation (but then if you have a long animation, you should be using Flash).
P
Phosphor
Dec 23, 2008
Photomerge > Reposition

Ah! The new feature I didn’t know about.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 23, 2008
Which version of Photoshop?

I believe what you are looking for is Edit>Auto-Align Layers.
AW
Andrew_Werber
Dec 23, 2008
CS4 Extended, Academic
W
WhoDunnit
Dec 24, 2008
wrote in message
I took a series of photos that would make a nice animated GIF if I can align the pictures. Of course, I could try to do this by eye, but it would not work very well. Is there a way I can use photoshop to line up the pictures so they superimpose properly to make the animated GIF?
Thanks again,
Andy (the beginner)

In CS3 when you have each image on a layer select the move tool then control click the layers you want to align
at top are alignment diagrams
choose the ones you need
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 24, 2008
Are you obligated to use 8-bit GIF? Consider a 24-bit image format.

Your animation is going to smash all photos to a limited palette of 256 colors. One photo with this small amount of color may be okay but trying to mix in multiple photos is going to look cartoony as the color palette is reduced.
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 24, 2008
Animated GIFs only work with 8 bits. You would have to go up to Flash to create an animation in 24 bit color.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 24, 2008
You would have to go up to Flash to create an animation in 24 bit color.

Or export from Photoshop as a movie! Lots of options to choose from.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections