P
Posted By
PhotoRoy
Dec 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I change the Browser under file to give me the Browser under Photoshop 7.0 instead of Bridge in PS CS3? I need the functions that the Browser of PS 7.0 provides. I’m using Window XP SP2
Roy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Dec 23, 2008
I don’t think you can roy. iirc, the browser was built into 7, not seperate, like bridge is.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 23, 2008
File>Open?
G
gmv
Dec 23, 2008
"Bridge" is confused and does not know if it should be "Browser" or "LightRoom" …
P
PhotoRoy
Dec 29, 2008
How do I get to the code in Photoshop 7.0? I have an unused short cut I could use to bring browser up in CS# if I can get the code lines from 7.0 into the a CVS3 module or as and add-on like a filter?
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 29, 2008
get used to bridge. it’s light years ahead of browser.
P
PhotoRoy
Dec 29, 2008
Bridge don’t display the info I use but Browser does and it much more efficient and easier to be creative. Bridge is a separate program set up to do the things in it menus but I don’t need those functions. I almost never use CS3 even though I had it for months. PS 7 gets the use.
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Dec 30, 2008
Bridge don’t display the info I use but Browser does …

What information?

I almost never use CS3 even though I had it for months.

Start getting familiar with CS3; it’s the only version you have that would be eligible for a future upgrade. Look here to see the features added between 7 and CS3: < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_release_history>
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 30, 2008
time to make the jump roy. and as wolf says, cs3 will keep you in the upgrade path. ps3 takes a little getting used to, but i believe you’ll come to like it better than 7. and you’ll defiantly like bridge better than browser. anything browser does, bridge can do better.
AR
Anthony.Ralph
Dec 30, 2008
I suppose it is worth asking (again – I see Wolf already asked) what features of the old browser you like/need that you feel Bridge cannot give you?

We could then offer suggestions to help you…

Anthony.
P
PhotoRoy
Dec 31, 2008
Browser displays within PS right on the screen. No third monitor is needed ( and of course browser opens much faster as Bridges is so slow)

Browser is a lot easier to read and controlling the file browsing easier and faster. Plus signs make it easier to tell if there are sub-files. Low contrast triangles may be all the rage on browsers and Bridge but there are not as quickly identified as to direction (Also Bridge open on the second monitor -see below).

Browser gives the detail right under the thumbnail so I can tell the width and the height at a glance (I have the same image with many different sizes). Browser lets me quickly move from one variation of an image to another and tell me how fast the image will open.

Bridge always opens on the second monitor which means less data is actually displayed as the monitor is set for the PS pallets and take it slow time in opening and then it has to be closed to use PS. ( While somebody might have a need to how many file types, how many were files were created on each date (long list), dates files were modified with Numbers, , number of landscape, portraits, square aspect ratios it all useless info Bridge crunches to me). Bridge just seems like an overloaded program with menu items for a person desk top.
Who stores images on a desk top? I’m sure someone finds this useful but I can get to my desktop by just minimizing PS

When I use CS3 I use the open command and have to select the thumbnail option each time so the images are displayed each time. Comparing PS 7.0 to CS3 there is only a few differences. Having Exposure control in CS3 is nice and faster than the work around in PS 7.0. The contrast brightness control is nice but the work around in PS 7.0 does the trick too. HDR maybe of some interest in the future but I wished I had waited for CS4 as it has a much easier to use depth sharpness control than the complicated free ware one from the web. Basically there is only a little difference between PS 7.0 and CS3 in term of b asic manipulations unless you into animation.

Roy
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 31, 2008
Roy

With due respect you are talking nonsense. You have obviously not spent much time learning how to use Bridge. Yes, you have to learn it – it is not an intuitive follow-on from the old browser.

The rest of your comments show a similar degree of ignorance.
AR
Anthony.Ralph
Dec 31, 2008
Roy:

To be fair, I don’t have PSCS3 on any either of my machines any more; I’m a total PSCS4 convert. Nevertheless, I can report that Bridge CS4 is a real improvement on Bridge CS3: faster, more streamlined and a very useful tool indeed.

Can I suggest you download a trial of CS4 and really check out Bridge. I am pretty confident that it, together with the new features of ACR5.2 and PSCS4 itself will give you pause for thought and maybe even have you go for it.

Happy New Year by the way…

Anthony.
P
PhotoRoy
Dec 31, 2008
John,
Putting the Window task bar on top does make it faster since I can minimize Bridge and restore it rather than opening it and closing it . It still much slower than than browser but I see what happens when I eliminate all the unnecessary menus. Still the Plus sign and the contrast of Browseer are easier to read but your eye sight is probably better than mine. I don’t know why it always opens on the second screen but I try and drag after I hit the restore down box.
Roy

With due respect you are talking nonsense. You have obviously not >spent much time learning how to use Bridge. Yes, you have to learn >it – it is not an intuitive follow-on from the old browser.

The rest of your comments show a similar degree of ignorance.
P
PhotoRoy
Jan 1, 2009
When I tried to move Bridge off the second monitor windows froze up and collapsed. I put in one of my backup c drives and deleted CS# and Bridge. Then I reloaded them after booting down. Bridge is much faster now and seems to work ok. Bridge was corrupted.
Since I also had some trouble with AOL I don’t think I use the dial up and the DSL connection at the same time from the same computer. I think it provides a vulnerability to things bouncing around the web.
I even pulling the power plug on the DSL when not in use. Roy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections