JC
Posted By
JOHN_CHOY
Dec 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My desktop is a windows one and my laptop/ notebook is a macbook pro. I have CS4 Pc version licence.

Just want to know if I can run/ install CS4 ( both PC and Mac ) on my macbook pro ( bootcamp). Can I download the mac cs4 trial version and then enter my serial no to have it work on my macbook pro?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Dec 20, 2008
no. if you have the windows version, that’s what you’ll have to use, through bootcamp or virtualization sw on the mac. you can’t run a mac and win version off the same license.
B
Buko
Dec 20, 2008
If you want a Mac version you need to buy a Mac license.
LH
Les_Helgeson
Dec 23, 2008
Or swap your Windows license for a Mac one (should be a no-brainer if you have a choice between the two platforms). Adobe has assured me I can swap Windows for Mac when I eventually say goodbye to Windows for my professional needs but cannot run one of each version (don’t understand the rationale here, though). If in doubt just browse the forums for both platforms and make your own decision about what is best for you.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 23, 2008
cannot run one of each version

You can with two licences!
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 23, 2008
You can only do that for current versions and it’s not the no brainer that you make it out to be.

Bob
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 24, 2008
should be a no-brainer if you have a choice between the two platforms

Photoshop CS4 offers different features for Mac and Windows. It is not exactly the same program. Unless you need direct 16 bit printing, preferring CS4 for Mac clearly is a no-brainer (as in there is no reasonable thought being used in such a decision). Those with a brain would likely prefer Windows on this particular CS4 release. 🙂
LH
Les_Helgeson
Dec 24, 2008
<You can only do that for current versions>
READ THE ORIGINAL POST – CS4 is the current version! Have you had one too many or just have a reading problem?

<Those with a brain would likely prefer Windows on this particular CS4 release.> Why do you post with a guess ("likely") for an answer? Do you really think it is reasonable for the original poster, who is apparently just getting started with CS4, to care much about 16 bit printing?

I’ve tried both platforms. Just visit your local Apple store and give it a try for yourself (for those who don’t yet own a Mac). Also, check out the new Adobe community forum. They have some great video tutorials, among other things. You may notice that virtually all of the instructors are using Macs. I guess the smart asses here would suggest that the instructors for Adobe and NAPP (including one of the PS developers) are somehow misguided Apple maggots, too. After trying out CS4 (properly installed) on both Power Mac and Mac Book Pro in our local Apple store, it truly is a no-brainer for me. More expensive yes but you get what you pay for.

John (Choy), you can also download the Mac version demo and give it a whirl on your Mac for 30 days. Obviously, you can see that the moderator and other posters are die hard Windows fans who are easily insulted by those who do not share their biased point of view. But again, try it for yourself and make your OWN INFORMED DECISION based upon what works best for you. You are fortunate enough to own both platforms so go for it!

Oh, and check the Windows forum "Photoshop CS4 is a Disaster" thread while you’re at it:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6f02c/477>
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 24, 2008
Read these links before you decide to buy a power mac or mac book pro. People thought only windows type laptops had problems with Nvidia chips. So buyer beware and do your research.

<http://www.9to5mac.com/macbook-bad-day>

< http://www.macblogz.com/2008/12/09/unibody-macbook-issues-ra m-lockups-and-nvidia-bad-bumps/>
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 24, 2008
and of course, cs4 is 64 bit in the windows version. maccies will have to wait until cs5 to get 64 bit. the poor lambs. 😉
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 24, 2008
I did read it, but unlike you I had a couple of other thoughts:

1. CS5 will come out eventually and CS4 will no longer be the current version.

2. My post was aimed at lurkers as well as the poster. Folks who might happen by and simply assume they can switch from CS2 on one platform to CS2 on the other.

Anything that even hints at a platform war from this point on will be deleted without notice.

And just so know…I do own a Mac.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 25, 2008
Anything that even hints at a platform war from this point on will be deleted without notice.

pc’s rule! macs drool! 🙂

(merry christmas bob! XD)
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 25, 2008
<dalek voice>EXTERMINATE!!!</dalek voice>

Merry Christmas too!
R
Ram
Dec 25, 2008
Re #6 above:

Unless you need direct 16 bit printing, preferring CS4 for Mac clearly is a no-brainer

That sould read: Especially if you need direct 16 bit printing, preferring CS4 for Mac clearly is a no-brainer

The Mac version has 16-bit printing; the Windows version does not. On the other hand the Windows version is 64 bit, the Mac version is not.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 25, 2008
…. and, depending on your needs, you can decide what gives most.

By the way why do people say "no-brainer"?

"obvious" seems to mean the same, without the derogatory tone and sell-out attitude to geek-speak.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 25, 2008
aw man. that’s cold bob! 😛 😉

merry christmas anyway.
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 25, 2008
Just trying to keep the peace, Dave…you know…the spirit of the season and all that.

Merry Christmas

Bob
B
Buko
Dec 25, 2008

It relieves them of actually doing some research or actually putting any thought in the process.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 25, 2008

because it hurts to use their brain?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 5, 2009
Why do you post with a guess ("likely") for an answer?

Les, I can only say ‘likely’ because I cannot understand everyone’s motivations. I can also safely say that the average person is less likely to eat haggis.

To clarify an earlier post, the Mac version’s only feature above the Windows version is direct 16 bit printing. Windows users could still print image files as 16 bit. Google for the new ‘XPS’ print system for more info.

other posters are die hard Windows fans who are easily insulted

Like many others here, I use both Mac and Windows. There is no ignorant bias here. John’s in a sticky spot with one license and two platforms. Money is the answer to adding a Windows license to the MacBook Pro or adding another Photoshop license to the Mac OS. If one is daring and uber-thrifty, the latest build of Wine < http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&amp ;iId=14318> might be installed on the Mac to avoid the need for a Windows OS license. The Windows Photoshop license may work sufficiently on the Mac via Wine.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections