BL
Posted By
Bill_Lamp
Dec 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First impressions. I know, quite out of date but with all the apparent problems…

System is a Lenovo 3000 series AMD 64×2 3800+
Power supply upgraded
Memory 2 gig Crucial (maximum for the MB)
Video card is Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS – Latest drivers. Not on the supported list. Display is 1280 x 1024.

Windows XP Home SP-3, Net Framework 3.5 SP 1, and other Forum recommended updates that aren’t handled by Windows Update.

1.05 TB in three drives. (1 K=1024)

Working with a 6144×4111 pixel 16 bit ProPhoto digital photograph:

As installed, in the trial download, GUI settings, Photoshop swap file is NOT on the system drive.

The start up time is about the same as with CS-3. Faster than CS.

Top menu bar text is rough and appears broken until I put the curser over the text. Then it clears up.

Click & drag zoom works like a charm.

"Toss" has a quarter to half second delay before the image moves.

Lag behind brush is quite noticeable even when zoomed in.

Brush border is rough & jagged. An indicator that the brush smoothness slider is set to full smooth?

I saw no delay with typing. (I have to look at the keys and when I looked up after the last letter it was there and sharp.)

A new learning curve for the palates IS going to need to be climbed. Or is there a "Look like CS, CS2, CS3" toggle somewhere? (NOTE the "First Impressions" above!)

Now for the interesting part. This test showed the same results as a test, same file but reduced to 3074 pixels width and in 8-bit color. I was doing a "see if file size makes a difference" test.

There was no difference in behavior with the system running "free" or with ZoneAlarm Pro and BitDefender running in the background. I have BitDefender set to NOT load on computer boot.

With the stock Open GL settings and a below grade video card, the brief test gave better than expected results with the main down grade being brush lag.

Just my observations with a video card that may be pushed beyond what can be reasonably expected of it and settings not tuned as per recommendations here.

One thing that I haven’t seen mentioned before is the new ability to re-tune the settings in adjustment layers. There have been many times I would have wanted that ability in the past.

Bill

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections