JJ
Posted By
John Joslin
Dec 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This new (to me at least) site might answer a lot of questions that users ask in here. It deals with standalone applications as well as suites.

< http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/upgrade/?trackin gid=EFBYY>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Dec 17, 2008
still no path from cs3 ee to cs4 standard.
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 18, 2008
Dave, I’ve already done that (as I posted in another thread)! I did it online, but maybe they changed the rules after that.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 18, 2008
I know there are anecdotal reports of people getting it done through customer service, but if it’s a company policy, it needs to be in writing. not some "hush hush, yea, we’ll let you do it this time" deal with a call center rep.
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2008
John Nack confirmed it’s company policy in his blog, and he also publicly expressed surprise and outrage that word hadn’t tricked down to the customer service people.

At least two users on the Mac forum report having success after that.

I’m not surprised it’s not showing on the web store. Apparently even Adobe staff in high places have trouble getting things corrected on the web site.
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2008
<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/09/photoshop_exten_1.html>

Scroll down to the thread of comments in that blog item.
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2008
Apparently even Adobe staff in high places have trouble getting things corrected on the web site even after 18 months of trying.

That comment refers to Thomas Phinney, top fonts executive at Adobe, not having been able to get massive bugs fixed at the Adobe type store.

Thomas Phinney, "Reminder: Adobe type store is still a mess" #7, 17 Sep 2008 2:26 am </webx?14/7>

Unfortunately, Thomas is leaving Adobe. 🙁 🙁 🙁
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 18, 2008
and he also publicly expressed surprise and outrage that word hadn’t tricked down to the customer service people.

and they’re apparently still building new websites with the old data. if they can’t be bothered, why should we?
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 18, 2008
I’ll add this: I upgraded to CS4 from CS3 Extended. I installed it first on my XP work machine, which had CS3 Extended on it. No problems with the install, although it doesn’t work as advertised on that machine. I was able, however, to get it installed without drama.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up another machine which had Vista 64 installed, pre-built (I usually build my own, but the deal was too good to pass up). CS4 runs fine on it. When I went to enter the serial number, it said that my CS3 Extended number wasn’t valid. I used my CS2 number and got it done.

My point: If you have CS3 Extended on the machine you upgrade to CS4, it seems to work. If you install it on a machine without CS3 Extended, you better have an earlier version’s serial number.

Hope that makes sense.

Nick
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 18, 2008
I was able, however, to get it installed without drama.

really? and without a call to customer svc for a special unlock code? that’s the 1st i’ve heard that…

i’m most likely going to go to cs4 extended anyway. i’m just kinda championing the cause because no one else seems to care to. 🙂
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 19, 2008
and without a call to customer svc for a special unlock code?

Yup. It was only on my second machine, which I use mostly for surfing, and had never had CS3 Extended installed on, that I ran into the problem. Since it was a new machine and had no previous versions of PS on it, CS4 asked for a previous serial number. I first tried my CS3 Extended number and was denied, so I entered my CS2 number, which worked.

I have no idea why the install of CS4 worked on my XP work machine, which had CS3 Extended installed (and still does), but that’s my story. I should add that CS4 is laggy and buggy on that machine. Works fine on the new store-bought Vista machine, but that one’s limited to 4GB RAM, so I won’t be using it for serious PS work.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 19, 2008
so I entered my CS2 number, which worked.

ah! but the rep i spoke with (transcript in that thread i posted) said that’s expressly VERBOTEN!!! 🙂

<col. potter>horse puckey!<col. potter>
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 19, 2008
Don’t know what to tell ya, Dave, just reporting my own experience. Sounds like Adobe has corn-fused themselves with cereal numbers and acktivation stuff.

🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 19, 2008
absotutly.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 19, 2008
it’s a tough life…
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 19, 2008
i’m just kinda championing the cause because no one else seems to care to. 🙂

A man without a windmill. 😉

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections