IA
Posted By
i_am_jim
Dec 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know of a way to automate adjusting the cropping frame after straightening a picture using the Measure tool?

I have a friend who is verticality challenged. He seems incapable of getting a shot straight. He just shot a big Christmas party and has over a hundred shots to straighten. I have to straighten one occasionally myself. It seems tedious and unnecessary to have to adjust the cropping frame every time after straightening the picture.

I teach elementary photoediting using all versions PS and PSE. Somewhere along the line I ran across a version of PSE that automatically did this. It fit the cropping frame to the picture content so, if you just wanted to remove the exposed canvas you could click crop and you were done.

Does anyone know of an action or an add-in that will do this in Photoshop?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GD
george_dingwall
Dec 16, 2008
Go to the Adobe Exchange and search for a script named autocropv2.jsx. This script might do what you need. It works on CS, CS2 and CS3 not sure about other versions.
IA
i_am_jim
Jan 28, 2009
Does anyone know of a way to automate adjusting the cropping frame after straightening a picture using the Measure tool?

I have a friend who is verticality challenged. He seems incapable of getting a shot straight. He just shot a big Christmas party and has over a hundred shots to straighten. I have to straighten one occasionally myself. It seems tedious and unnecessary to have to adjust the cropping frame every time after straightening the picture.
I teach elementary photoediting using all versions PS and PSE. Somewhere along the line I ran across a version of PSE that automatically did this. It fit the cropping frame to the picture content so, if you just wanted to remove the exposed canvas you could click crop and you were done.

Does anyone know of an action or an add-in that will do this in Photoshop?

Go to the Adobe Exchange and search for a script named autocropv2.jsx. This script might do what you need. It works on CS, CS2 and CS3 not sure about other versions.

Sorry, I’m so long in responding. Things went a little crazy after I posted the question and it got blown out of my mind.

Thanks for your reply. When I searched for autocropv2.jsx at Adobe Exchange it got no hits/results.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 28, 2009
PLEASE turn off the autoquote!

Bob
IA
i_am_jim
Jan 29, 2009
PLEASE turn off the autoquote!

Quotes? I don’t see no quotes.
IA
i_am_jim
Jan 29, 2009
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:28:49 -0800 someone wrote:

< http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extens ionDetail&extid=1042987>

Thanks
IA
i_am_jim
Jan 29, 2009
Except the quotes I wanted to show to make the exchange clear.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 29, 2009
Except the quotes I wanted to show to make the exchange clear.

yes. exactly. or i should say, concisely. 🙂
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 29, 2009
I deleted two full postings out that last one.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 29, 2009
XD
IA
i_am_jim
Jan 29, 2009
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:15:48 -0800 someone wrote:

I deleted two full postings out that last one.

Let’s be clear. It had been almost six weeks since my original post, and his reply. If I had simply answered without quoting, no one, but possibly him, would have had any idea what I was talking about.
IA
i_am_jim
Jan 29, 2009
XD

Beg pardon?
IA
i_am_jim
Jan 29, 2009
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:28:49 -0800 someone wrote:

Try this link.

< http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extens ionDetail&extid=1042987>

Thanks for the though, but you may want to know, that script does not work. The only review, which is two and a half years, old is exactly correct:

"In the first setting it crops down to just a tiny, section of the image. In the other two, it does nothing."
GD
george_dingwall
Jan 29, 2009
Well I’m sitting at PC with Vista Ultimate. The script runs fine on my computer using either CS1 or CS3.

I always use Binary Search and it does a great job with minimal loss of image.

No idea why it is not working for you.
PR
Paul_R
Jan 29, 2009
Must agree with George, excellect script and have had no problems with it.
IA
i_am_jim
Jan 30, 2009
I’m also using it on CS3.

Here is an example. The first image is the original tilted. The second is autocropv2 binary search mode.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7470/blackyonderhs7.jpg http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1579/blackyondercroprp0.jpg

The other two modes do nothing at all.

It is not unique to the image. I’ve tried it on about 5 images. The amount left after the crop varies but all crop to a small part of the original image.
PR
Paul_R
Jan 30, 2009
For these all you need to do is use the built in script: File – Automate – Crop and Straighten Photos
Works fine on the example you gave.
IA
i_am_jim
Jan 31, 2009
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 02:06:02 -0800 someone wrote:

For these all you need to do is use the built in script: File – Automate – Crop and Straighten Photos
Works fine on the example you gave.

That script crops more of the image than necessary.
IA
i_am_jim
Jan 31, 2009
That’s interesting. I tried it a second time and it cropped correctly. Just the same, what I really want is for the cropping frame to be adjusted automatically and allow me to do the crop so that if I would be clipping off something I don’t want to lose I can adjust the fame out a little and later clone over the canvas. Also, I doubt it can do an accurate rotation to vertical with some images.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections