B
Posted By
BJNicholls
Dec 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PC Perspective has the first review of the "CS4-specific" Nvidia Quadro CX card. There are movies on page 2 of the the review that show birdseye, rotated view and hand toss actions with this card in Photoshop CS4. I see the same amount of stuttering motion in these movies that I get with my far cheaper GeForce 9800 GTX+ card, so perhaps what I thought was slightly jerky is as good as it gets.

<http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=649>

In one movie reviewer compares the new view rotation OpenGL feature with the very different (and not accelerated in CS4) rotate canvas operation. I imagine the Quadro CX’s 1.5 GB onboard RAM allows for more accelerated windows, but it doesn’t look a bit faster than my $200 card in Photoshop.

The real application of this card has to be Premier Pro and After Effects – applications I don’t use. Still looking for the sweet spot card in terms of performance, onboard RAM, and price for Photoshop CS4.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SK
Stefan_Klein
Dec 12, 2008
BJ,
on my system the stuttering is not nearly as much as in those videos. It`s much smoother and faster (8600GT/512MB, Q6600, 4GB, Vista 32).
Only panning is stuttering on my system. Sometimes however it`s very smooth, don`t know why. But rotating and zooming is always fast and smooth.
Why it`s stuttering in the video could also be because the video may be recorded at low frames/sec. But birdseye view on such a large picture give`s me a very blurry view in the moment when it is zoomed out. That does not happen in those videos. Unfortunately I never got an answer to that question from any of the developers as to why that happens.
B
BJNicholls
Dec 12, 2008
Good point, if I’m reading one of the movie file’s statistics correctly it’s only 8 fps. I’ve been getting advice from my card manufacturer troubleshooting the card’s slow 2D performance and have been introduced to the world of driver remnants and driver cleaner utilities. I’ve had three different cards from three manufacturers installed on this workstation and apparently the remnants that don’t uninstall can cause problems with new drivers. This is old stuff to gamers who hop from card to card for better performance but it’s a brave new world for the likes of me.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections