EB
Posted By
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Complains about sluggish performance on many machines have been piling up for over a month now. Some Adobe techies confirmed issues and promised to look into it. Is there any news-worthy progress in development of a remedy or a vage forecast of when to expect a first patch?

Thanks
Erbs

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John Joslin
Dec 10, 2008
I’m sure a fix is on the way but I think you are being unrealistic to expect one yet.

Think of the user base (and the fact that they don’t want to mess up the situation for those who don’t have a problem).
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 10, 2008
Wasn´t expecting one tomorrow and didn´t say so.
Just curious of how long a wait this could turn into.
I know, you´re the one without the problem. You have a working version. I don´t. (cue sound of impatient feet tapping)

Erbs "I won´t touch my settings no more" Bischof
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 13, 2008
* bump*
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 13, 2008
"bump"
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 20, 2008
"bump"
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 20, 2008
When the patch is out you’ll hear the shout.

Adobe don’t give forecasts. (Understandably 😉 )
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 20, 2008
are we there yet? 🙂
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 20, 2008
I think we’re more than half way there. I’m trying the beta patch atm, and 70 percent of the headache is cured already.
S
Sweetc
Dec 20, 2008
what beta patch ?..

IntelP D 2.80 GHz
2GB dual channel
Ati Radeon 4870 HD
XP 32bit SP3
1.5TB HD (150f)
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 20, 2008
70% of what? Minor sinus headache? 30% of migraines remaining? Just kidding.

No Dave, were not there yet and if you don’t sit back and be quiet your grounded.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 20, 2008
ok.

are we there yet?
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 20, 2008
🙂
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 20, 2008
……are we there yet?……
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 21, 2008
If you children don’t shut up, I’m going to turn this fix right round !
EH
Expert_Here
Dec 21, 2008
It’s bad when you get a few windows up. It always will be bad. CPUs won’t get faster any time soon. More cores won’t help. GL was an attempt to add some speed to the equation, but the problem is it all comes out like Intel’s infamous floating point error. Few ever realized there was a problem with the Intel FP (few used FP), just like some here. Some did and didn’t care (99.99679 is close enough for some), just like some here. Some were affected to the extreme, like many here. Intel recalled the CPUs and promised to never allow this to happen again. Adobe is only doing what Intel did all those years ago, only it hasn’t gotten to the stage where it admits to the fault. Knowing Adobe, it never will. Did you ever try to get a refund from Adobe? Don’t. Charge back immmediately upon discovering your error because that’s what you’ll have to do to get your money back to bring it to an end, anyway. I am, after all, and expert here.
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 21, 2008
what beta patch ?..

Stonehenge (11…something)
The one Adam Jerugim/Adobe has given to those, willing to volunteer for a test ride. See "disaster thread"… somewhere in the middle of the four billion posts.

@dave
We´re not quite there yet, but I guess we can stop for a pee break.
PB
Paul_Budzik
Dec 21, 2008
To "Expert Here"

I had very little difficulty in getting a refund on CS4, and the longer I keep checking back, I’m glad I did. I think "Adobe Corp" pays more attention to money than complaints.

Paul
S
Sweetc
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks Erbs.
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 22, 2008
70% of what? Minor sinus headache? 30% of migraines remaining?

Good one 🙂
Fortunately, it´s the other way round with the patch at it´s present stage.
Remaining irritations are: ch..ch..choppy zoom(by mousewheel only), and moving and rotating image (hand symbol).

It´s tolerable, if you´re a forgiving nature and sort of interlace the bad framerate with the peaceful flow of your mind.

Oooooommm….
H
Ho
Dec 22, 2008
It took about 5-6 months for the patch for CS3 to be made available. I suspect there’s more to fix in CS4, so plan accordingly.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 22, 2008
It took about 5-6 months for the patch for CS3 to be made available.

…. and even then it didn’t completely fix the printing bug!
H
Ho
Dec 22, 2008
What’s still mucked up, John? I just upgraded to CS3 after deciding to sit out CS4. I thought the printer issues had been fixed.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 22, 2008
The major cockups introduced by Mr Polaschek were ironed out but some people were still reporting prints having the wrong size or alignment.

I think it depends on the route through the dialogs.

CS4 has a completely new routine.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 22, 2008
Ho,

Did you try the evaluation copy of CS4, bfore deciding to skip it?

Its a shame if anyone skips CS4 because of the relatively few reports (compared to user base) of remaining bugs.

Bridge is worth it alone to me. but then again, I’m ‘sponsored’.
H
Ho
Dec 22, 2008
Hi Mat,

No, I didn’t try it. I may rethink the notion once the patches are released and the dust settles. My strategy has always been to skip every other version, and CS3 was my skipping point. However, I got such a good price on the CS3 upgrade that I decided to go ahead and take the plunge, setting my sights on CS5.

But, like I said, I plan to keep an eye on developments with CS4.
360texas
Dec 22, 2008
I agree. We were planning on CS4 upgrade. After reading this thread we do not need to degrade our work flow productivity with software bug issues. Will watch for the patch then reevaluate our need for PSCS4
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 22, 2008
Just try the evaluation copy for a month – you should see if any bugs plagues your system. you should never go by reports in an internet forum, particularly a place like this where people are likely to complain – you dont see threads recommending stable software here.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 22, 2008
Well, Mat, I did evaluate CS4, under reasonably controlled conditions in one setup, and I don’t find CS4 to be worth it at all, as there are several deal breakers for me, particularly with respect to brushes, the palettes arrangement, the stupid, stupid "Show All" at the bottom of menus like Layers (everything I use in Layers on a regular basis is hidden, so it takes additional steps to obtain them). The default to non-floating frames is particularly odious. And I’m not the only one hating the non-floating frames. I have one floating, I open another (usually a variation on the first image) and want to click back and forth. Every time I open a new image it reverts to non- float.

The first installation to my working computer had 11 errors, but CS4 ran anyway. I suspected that CS4 loaded those from CS3. I am now certain, because, after uninstalling CS4, those parts of CS3 now behave differently, having reverted to a default position rather than my own setup.

It’s too bad that Adobe cannot supply some sort of debug logging capability, like Structured Exceptions Handling, which MS has used for at least XP on. I know damn well that, even having the same platform/chipset running simultaneously at a number of stations, not all will report bugs, and when one does, measures to replicate those have to be undertaken. You might be surprised in the number of times such investigations uncover an additional bug or three!
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 22, 2008
Larry

Regardless of the other problems you have had, I have to point out that you can customise the menus to have anything you want showing and save it out with a Workspace.

Did you ever check out the nine preloaded Workspaces? One of them might cover all you need!
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 22, 2008
Regardless of the other problems you have had, I have to point out that you can customise the menus to have anything you want showing and save it out with a Workspace.

Ah, but only in CS4.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks for pointing it out, but again, it’s a step backwards in usability. I expected I could customize the menu problems but I saw no path to setting float to default, whilst allowing for the non-float to invoked,unless it’s the same as CS3, ie the F key.

So, let’s see what I do like. I like AutoTone. I like the faster Bridge, but again, a bunch of stuff needing to be deciphered and somehow accommodated added on.

I’m picky and I’ll admit it. Many third party add-ons don’t meet my criteria either. Some do, like Nik software. Intuitive from the get- go, then, when that is comfortable, you can do additional explorations.

This reminds me of the sad case of Peugeot in America. The 1971 504 was a great little car. That was before EPA standards took off in a significant way. Peugeot, instead of re-engineering the engine to accommodate these requirements, added on and added on, until the car was FAPP, a +cripple. Finally, they woke up, but too late.

Peugeot decided to get out of the US market.

Too bad.
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 22, 2008
I saw no path to setting float to default…

It’s in Prefs, under Interface. Just uncheck Open Documents as Tabs.

(I don’t like Tabs, either, but I guess they’re just all the rage, so Adobe made them the default behavior.)
AR
Anthony.Ralph
Dec 22, 2008
Mathias #30: I recall that custom workspaces could be created in CS3 – I certainly had a couple set up.

Anthony.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 22, 2008
Tabs?

Sigh!

But now, I have even a worse problem. CS3 no longer behaves as it was installed. Now, when I click a file in Bridge the only options I have for .tiff is either Firefox(!) or Paint 5.1. That is also true for .nef, unless I go to Open and pick RAW.

WTF!!!

Reset prefs doesn’t work, and when I do, and go to my working space, it’s some default setup instead of what I set.

Looks like I have to re-install CS3.

I would be a goddam fool to even consider CS4.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 22, 2008
check your bridge preferences larry. you can choose what programs to use, even if you have to browse for it.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 23, 2008
Anthony,

You are correct, but you can’t customize your menus and shortcuts, as in CS4.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 23, 2008
I went into Windows Explorer and re-associated the extensions with the proper programs, so far as jpeg, tiff and nef are concerned. Resetting defaults in Bridge file associations did no good, nor could I find Photoshop as an option. Just Paint, FF or Browse.

Windows knows more about what extensions need to open than CS3 does.

WTF!!
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 23, 2008
or Browse.

yes. browse to cs3. then it’ll know about it.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 23, 2008
Browse opened My Documents. I could go to C Programs etc but I don’t know what to associate it with. PS executable?

So I went to the tried and true Windows Explorer to find it.

So what else is crippled because of the cavalier abandonment attitude uninstalling CS4?

I left a copy in some thread or another of the actual files CS4 Installer couldn’t find to delete(!) so I better go find it and see if I can glean anything from that list. Most of it is obscure as to it’s function and location, and certainly, may not even be the right name for the CS3 equivalent which CS4 glommed onto. (Glommed. A tech term. Obscure analog term)

Be careful out there!
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 23, 2008
PS executable?

presactly.
H
Ho
Dec 23, 2008
Larry, what you’re experiencing makes a persuasive argument for creating a HD image before installing trial-ware. I know I don’t need to tell you that, I’m just kind of surprised you didn’t do it.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 23, 2008
That’s rather vague in that Adobe seems to want you to navigate to some place or another.

Dropping it into PS .exe is like finding a stray dog the belongs to someone in New York, so you drop it off at the city limits. It might work, as dogs are good at finding directions.

Windows Expolorer is more like the pound where the license is registered.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 23, 2008
Dumb faith, I guess, Ho. I had no idea that Adobe would ever be an unknown in that department. It took a small hiccup when CS3 beta became a problem during uninstall that Adobe had a fix. They probably don’t know( or don’t care) that CS4 uninstall is a problem.

I know, I know. Buyer beware and all that.

Sic transit Adobe.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 23, 2008
That’s rather vague in that Adobe seems to want you to navigate to some place or another.

you just lost an association man. not a biggie…
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 23, 2008
I lost more than that, dave. This was the last straw. I knew I could do a re-association but in view of the rest of the problems, I posted this as I wasn’t sure of my self any more. It kept going downhill, because before I reset prefs, .nef automatically opened in RAW with a double click on the thumb, but afterwards, no can do.

As I said, what else is lurking there?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 23, 2008
Another association lost: the Card Reader. Before, when I plugged in the card reader for the D80, a small app opened up and gave some choices. One of them was to Open in Bridge. Now, that’s gone. I have to Open Bridge Get Photos from Camera and then the reader is found. Probably that is also associated with CS4 then dropped when it was uninstalled.

Lurking, lurking….
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 23, 2008
Larry,

This is perfectly normal. When you installed CS4, all the file types were associated to that suite. When uninstalling CS4, those associated file types does not know to revert back to CS3. I’d re-install Bridge CS3 at least.

Mathias
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 23, 2008
agreed mat, but that doesn’t explain his reset preferences in cs3 though. all mine seem to have survived the uninstall.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 23, 2008
It is true that the associations are all changed when you install CS4 and don’t change back. It would be in the realms of possibility to have the old associations restored but hey we’re talking about the "Installer Folks" as Nack <http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/11/installer_rant.html> calls them. I think they are a small tribe of elves that live near the Updater Goblins and share laughs together at the discomfiture of confused users.

However with persistence and know-how it is possible to restore the Status Quo without getting into Dire Straits.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 23, 2008
Slowly being restored. I am considering re-install CS3 over the top, but then again, maybe using the Clean CS3 and starting over would be better.

Sucky, sucky.

I have a job to get out first.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 23, 2008
i’d just reinstall cs3 and see if that goes good. you can always run the clean script later if you have to…
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 23, 2008
After I get this job out. It’s for a major NY publisher and I can’t hiccup here.
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 23, 2008
If you reinstall, don’t forget to de-activate first.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections