JA
Posted By
jon_albertson
Dec 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having what I think is video problems since I switched to CS4. Frequent apparent redraws leave remnants on screen, panels move back and forth, etc.
I have a Dell Precision 490 with 4gb ram and a nVidia Quadra fx 550 with 128 megs of ram. Open GL is enabled. I have loaded all the latest nVidia drivers.

If this sounds like a video card problem, can anyone recommend a good, not too expensive card? I don’t play any games, just use the machine for PS. ID and Flash mostly.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JA
jon_a
Dec 10, 2008
In addition, my CalComp DrawingBoard III tablet will not work at all and has to be disconnected for CS4 to run…when I loaded CS4, the tablet was installed and when I opened PS, it crashed and I had to do a long and painful uninstall and reinstall of all adobe products. Consequently I am afraid to plug the tablet back in.
THis has been an unhappy upgrade for me.
WS
Wick_Smith
Dec 14, 2008
I got the recommended nVidia 9600GT with latest drivers and still have the same problems. So don’t count on a new graphics board solving your problem.

But for your reference, here is a list of cards that are supposed

to work with CS4.

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711>

In my case, it was a pretty miserable experience since the first card I bought was defective and the second one appears to work fine otherwise but gives the same error messages as my old card.
CC
Clifton_Cline
Dec 19, 2008
9600GT is a good call for budget GPU. For brand, look for BFGTech, XFX, or eVGA. They currently have the best warranty systems, even going so far to replace a dead card with an upgrade if you have to send it in some time after its marketable life cycle.
F
Freeagent
Dec 19, 2008
The flood of misery concerning GPU acceleration in CS4 is slowly assuming biblical proportions, at least judging by what we see on this forum. But it wouldn’t surprise me if the engineers are now on 16-hour shifts to crack this thing. They have a very determined look about them when they show up here.

Your problems are very likely NOT related to hardware configuration, and one video card is probably as good as another. The most likely cause is a software conflict of some sort. Your tablet driver could be one, so check for any driver updates there, and whether uninstalling the old one left something behind.

And the best thing anyone with problems can do now is to post as many details and specifics as possible. That’s what the engineers want. Their biggest problem is that they simply can’t reproduce some of the symptoms people describe.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections