Photoshop CS4 Trial Install – Claim of too less capacity to install???

C
Posted By
CraneSane
Dec 9, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey everyone,

I am having problems with installing the trial version of CS4.

My computer:
Windows XP
Service Pack 3
2.08 GHz, 512 MB RAM

I had Photoshop CS3 installed before running smoothly.
I formatted the whole computer, I have three partitions. C: 441 MB (free space)
D: 73 GB (free space)
E: 66 GB (free space)

When I try to install CS4 and select a folder on partition D:, it claims ‘The size of the selected option exceeds the available capacity’ (translated from German). Although the installer recognizes: Available capacity: 73 GB
Entire capacity: 1.2 GB

I only have about 9 GB of programmes on partition C:. Apart from that there is nothing on the computer.

Is maybe the RAM not sufficient for CS4???

I would be so happy if you have any helpful advice.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Dec 9, 2008
"Is maybe the RAM not sufficient for CS4???"

I don’t know the exact minimum requirement spec for RAM, but I know enough to tell you without hesitation that 512 MB is FAR too little to be running a healthy OS AND a recent version of Photoshop. You should try to bump it up to a GB at the bare minimum; 2-4 GB is better, more, if you can.

Also, you need to have enough space on your drive for the OS to be able to swap pages in and out, and the drive you use for that should be different from the one you choose for Photoshop to use as a scratch disk.

You really should have a completely separate drive for Photoshop’s scratch. And you should probably re-partition to give yourself some more room on C: 441MB is practically nothing these days.

Someone should be along shortly to give you more detailed info. I’m just a lowly Maccer, so I don’t know a lot about Windows systems. But my advice is viable, no matter which platform your on.
C
CraneSane
Dec 9, 2008
WOW, first of all: Thanks for the super quick answer.=)

Yes, I know that the amount of RAM is very little but CS3 (full version) ran super smoothly before. So I figures I could give CS4 a chance.

I am sorry, I still don’t understand why even the installation does not work. I mean I use a totally different drive for the installation (not partition C:). And in terms of the scratch disk: Can I not choose partition E: later for that? So I have CS4 installed on D: 73 GB and for the scatch disk partition E: 66 GB?

Hm, I might just reinstall CS3, hm???
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 9, 2008
It might be OK but
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 9, 2008
Looks like John got shot in the middle of his response. Even though you are not installing to C: the installation uses it a lot during the installation and afterwards for files that have to be there.
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 9, 2008
2.08 GHz, 512 MB RAM

C: 441 MB (free space)

Neither is sufficient. You’re heading for some major headaches with only 441 megs of free space on that c:drive. The installer needs space on the C drive for temporary installation files as well as required system files.

Why did you allot such a minuscule amount of space to the boot drive?

And even if you do get Photoshop installed you’re going to be spending all of your time as a spectator.

Bob
C
CraneSane
Dec 9, 2008
There is probably not enough space on my C: for John to post the complete sentence. *g* =)

Hmm, so the only way to get CS4 installed is repartition and get more space on C:?
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 9, 2008
Yes! And buy RAM – it’s cheap.
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 9, 2008
Yeah, if you can bump the C: partition up another 3 or 5 gigs, then you will be much happier.
C
CraneSane
Dec 9, 2008
I repartitioned Windows and I now have 30 GB space on the C drive. But I installed CS4 on the D drive. The C drive only includes system related programmes (hardware drives and such). All the other app’s will be on the D drive anyway.

I just quickly did some easy stuff – created a gif-file from a video clip – and everything seems to run perfectly.

I will however install more RAM soon.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers!
M
Mylenium
Dec 10, 2008
Well, not meaning to be picky about it, but the install instructions clearly state that complementary tools like Bridge will always be installed in the default "Program File" directory, which is usually on the C: drive as is the temp folder in your user home directory, which is required for extracting the install packages. Therefore it’s quite logical, that a 1GB install will not go through on only 441 MB of free space…

Mylenium

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections