Posted By
BJNicholls
Dec 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Passing along a discovery:

Running the latest 180.48 Windows XP driver for my nvdia GeForce GTX 9800, the OpenGL CS4 features wouldn’t work until I disabled the PhysX GPU acceleration in this driver’s new "Set PhysX configuration" control under 3D Settings in the nvidia control panel.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CH
CR_Henderson
Dec 4, 2008
CS4 OpenGL works on my system. PhysX enabled or disabled doesn’t seem to make a difference. 9800 GTX+, WinVistaUltimate 64.
PJ
Phil_Jaeger
Dec 5, 2008
It helped my system out.

I was able to paint for 20 solid minutes with opengl enabled.

Although, when i was working on two fairly large multi-layer files on two monitors the opengl did eventually disable itself. Maybe it has something to do with two monitors.
B
BJNicholls
Dec 5, 2008
Phil, what OS are you running? Perhaps the difference in CR’s case is an example of a difference between Vista’s and XP’s graphics handling.

I’m running a single NEC 3090WQXi display at 2560 x 1600, 32 bits, 60 Hz. Other than the PhysX disable, I’m running the driver’s default settings. 2D line drawing performance is terrible, not just with CS4 but across the board.
KB
Kevin_Brusie
Dec 6, 2008
I am having EXTREME problems with the brush working like I was on a x486/66 from 1993. Damn. I am on a XPpro SP3 4gbram w/ Nvidia 8600GT 256mb. Do I now need to upgrade the video card? I downloaded th latest driver… zomming in and out is oh so way cool but if I can’t even use a brush on a layer mask… HELP!!!
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 6, 2008
Kevin, I´m having the same troubles with a Geforce M 8600 GT 512MB… (4 GB, 2,4 GHz Dual, Vista Home Premium, all the latest driver… yadda yadda…) Brush an redraw is slooooow and ch..ch..choppy.
I tried al possible combinations of checked/unchecked preferences in PS (OpenGl etc.) and in my nvidia set as well. No noticable change. It became a bit better when I switch all the baroque´n´bordello bells and whistles of Vista ON(!!!)(Thats´s Vista Aero with all the silly, RAM hungry, mac-alike visual effects…)
But it´s still unacceptably inert.
PS CS 4 seems to appreciate a decadent environment.
Not much help for your XP SP3 setup, I know.
It boots fast though and computes (renders, saves etc.) pretty snappy. My CPU seems to enjoy that load off his mind, as it seems.

Hanging about, waiting for a patch announcement.

Erbs
KB
Kevin_Brusie
Dec 6, 2008
Erbs,
Thanks for the sympathy vote.:-) Interestingly, I went to the Nvidia control panel… hunted around for this or that… (including the mentions above which I could not find) then returned to CS4… without saving any changes to the Nvidia. Suddenly it was working fast & fine. I ran out of time/patience and shut things down to enjoy some stress free weekend.

I feel like deleting the whole thing and reverting to CS3. I fear this is the next Vista… I had it and dumped it and returned to XP on all my machines (4). Perhaps I’ll be a CS3 hold out as this is just plain old unacceptable.
Frustrated.

kevin
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 6, 2008
Oh brilliant,those are the phenomena I fear most.
They disappear for no apparent reason leaving you clueless when they will eventually hit back. Which of course happens late at night before a MAJOR pitch and 15 hostile clients expecting a fresh and cheerful creative in the morning.
Ho hum…
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Dec 6, 2008
My NVIDIA GeForce 7300GS card with 6.14.11.7824 drivers (on XP) seem to behave best with the attached 3D setting. NVIDIA calls these Balanced settings and I have configured them specific to Ps CS4. (For Lr 2 I have configured Performance settings.)

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1YNHUJAX8drpnKil6L 2Gy861j3l1t01>
WS
Wick_Smith
Dec 18, 2008
I have the 9600GT card. I notice that antialiasing is greyed out on my computer. Any idea wht this would be?

Also, I notice from your screen shot that you have changed the global settings rather than the CS4 application-specific settings. Same for LR2 it seems. Is that what you recommend?

-wick
WS
Wick_Smith
Dec 18, 2008

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections