CS 4 sluggish and slow. Any true fix in sight?

EB
Posted By
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Yes, there are threads dealing with (though, not solving) the problem, but this one needs to stay on top.

PS CS4 is extreeemly sluggish and choppy with redraws and various inputs. Even small documents handle like they we´re 10 x 10 feet large. It´s beyond ridiculous.
I´m testing the trial version atm, but boxed version is on the way…

I´ve tried every possible checking and unchecking of what preferences have to offer but to no avail.

My GeForce drivers are the very, very, latest and Vista home is automatically up to date.

I keep my system neat and tidy with registry aids, defrags etc. Needless to say that PS CS 1 ran smoothly.

Specs are:
Acer Aspire 9920 (20" screen monster), 4GB RAM, 500 GB Drive, GeForce 8600M GT w. 512 MB

Lost.
Erbs

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WE
Wolf_Eilers
Dec 4, 2008
Vista 32 bit or 64 bit? (What good is 4GB RAM on a 32 bit OS?)

Photoshop settings are what? Ps uses what % of RAM. Scratch disks? Cache levels? OpenGL on or off? What nVIDIA 3D settings are you using? (I use "balanced" settings on my 7300GS.)

And the Acer is still a laptop. Ps can easily consume a workstation machine. Not to mention the big difference between CS1 and CS4.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 4, 2008
erbs,

Are you trying to run it on windows vista basic?
S
Sweetc
Dec 5, 2008
OK ,lets bring this back on top !

tool, zoom, scroll, paint, etc… huge lag/slowdown. For example, rotating the canvas becomes slow and horribly jumpy, brushes lag a few seconds behind cursor….
WTF

I’m pretty pissed that this isn’t in the "top issues" category , Mainly because it’s the only problem I have !

and I quote
"ATI has confirmed that Radeon HD 4000 and HD 3000 series will help accelerate many things in Adobe’s Creative Suite 4 pack. ATI Radeon HD 4000 will accelerate Premiere and in Nvidia’s case, you need an ultra expensive Quadro for that. This makes a big difference and ATI told Fudzilla that HD 3000 series will help accelerate video transcoding that will lead to faster video editing. 3D effects and transition, something that you use regularly in video edition are also accelerated on the GPU. ATI HD 4000 series might definitely sell well in this video editing market as you pay a fraction of the price of Quadro and still get the acceleration. It will be fun to compare Nvidia vs ATI on this particular application set."

—–

IntelP D 2.80 GHz
2GB dual channel
Ati Radeon 4870 HD
XP 32bit SP3
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 6, 2008
ok
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 6, 2008
CS 4 speeds things up significantly when you activate(!!!) Vista "AERO". Yes ACTivate, not DEactivate.
How wicked is that?
(For all non Vistaderos: Aero is the dreadful eye candy look, supposed to look mac-like cool and swooshy. It eats up
significant lumps of memory, when alive)

Grabbing and moving things around (Redraw) still remains unacceptably slow and choppy, even short pieces of text.

BUT: Suddenly all brush functions are smooth, zoom (even animated) is snappy and fluid and tossing your document about (hand symbol) works flawless.

For what it´s worth, here´s my DX diagnose thingy:

Time of this report: 12/4/2008, 15:20:20
Machine name: ACERASPIRE9920G
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium 32 bit (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire 9920
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBLt
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1438MB used, 16534MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
Display Devices
—————
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8600M GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_01291025&REV_A 1 Display Memory: 1779 MB
Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
Shared Memory: 1279 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: PnP-Monitor (Standard)
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.8070 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/18/2008 13:28:00, 6062080 bytes

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections