Is Photoshop the right software for my pojects?

JI
Posted By
Joan_in_GA
Dec 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m using Photoshop 7.0 in Windows XP. Recently I created several greeting e-cards/e-flyers for inserting into Outlook 2007 and emailing to my data base. I have tried saving them as .jpg .tiff and as .html objects. When I first insert them into Outlook, they look great but once they are emailed they degrade considerably. If I use only vector objects in my cards they do just fine but when I use text over high or low res photos or patterns everything including/especially the text degrades considerably when emailed. I have presented my problem to the Outlook tech support without resolution. I have searched the web and read many articles for answers/alternatives, over the past several months, without resolution. My questions to you are: Am I using the wrong software for creating my flyers and cards (love all that you can do in Photoshop) and if so what should I be using? Am I missing something in the saving process or am I trying to do something in Photoshop that can’t be done? I consider myself a Photoshop enthusiast and I am planning the CS3 upgrade before it is to late, but may need to invest in another software to accomplish my goals. I have created many interesting pieces and would like to turn this into a small business if I can find the solution. Thanks so much . . . sorry this is so long.

Joan In GA

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DN
David_Nicol
Dec 1, 2008
Sounds to me like you’re using the wrong e-mail program. For one thing, Outlook is the number one virus magnet on earth. And it’s probably doing you the favor of resizing and reprocessing your images for faster dispersion by e-mail. It might even be doing that as a means of virus protection, since many viruses nowadays are disguised as jpegs.

Any other e-mail program will reduce your computer’s vulnerability to viruses and worms by around 98 percent or more. And other e-mail programs may be less likely to reprocess your images without your knowledge.

If you’re stuck with Outlook, I’d look through the preferences to see if there are any regarding image attachments.

Photoshop is not the problem. It’s a fine program for creating and processing images. And by the way, you missed the deadline to upgrade to CS4 from Photoshop 7. Check the top thread on this forum.
JI
Joan_in_GA
Dec 1, 2008
David,

Thank you for your response and for confirming that Photoshop is not the problem even if Microsoft won’t admit that Outlook has digressed! I will check into the possibility of another email client. Have Office 2007 because I need it for my job, but have never had the interest in microsoft software that I have in Adobe products. Yes, I checked with Adobe last week on the CS4 upgrade and learned the bad news, but they did tell me that CS3 was still available from resellers and gave me names of resellers here in Atlanta so I decided I better get it while still available. This evening I read most of the posts on the Forum about exercising caution when buying software from 3rd parties unless they are recommended by Adobe. When they say resellers do they mean used issues of the software? I kind of gathered that from the Forum, but still not sure. Thanks again . . .
O
OldBob
Dec 1, 2008
As to email; both Yahoo and Google offer a free version of their email services at their sites, so trying one or both to see if they work is free.

And for re-sellers; Generally, if you are going to an established (name chain) brick and mortar store, you’ll be fine. Buying off the internet can be iffy. Did you see this thread about e-bay?

Bart Cross, "Thinking of buying from eBay?" #1, 15 Feb 2008 2:33 pm </webx?14/0>

Much the same applies to any online purchase–caveat emptor!
JI
Joan_in_GA
Dec 1, 2008
Thank you for the tips. Yes I read the thread about eBay. I spend a lot of time online for business, but I’m not much for buying anything over the Internet.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections