How the hell do you stop ATI Catalyst from controling the colours?!

MO
Posted By
Mateus_Orius
Nov 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all, I’ve posted this on the ATI website but thought I’d try here for some expertise from the Adobe people because this has to do with colour profiles and people here may know more.

This is beginning to annoy me. Sorry for the bad tempered start.

I’ve just bought a 1GB Sapphire HD 4850. And to cut a long story short, when I’m using my Adobe products, there is a colour tint to all images. When I had my previous nVIDIA card, I had no problem. When I uninstall all drivers, again there is no problem with colours. But when I install the Catalyst software, I have problem.

Now, I’m a photographer and use Lightroom, Photoshop and Bridge regularly. I just upgraded to CS4 which I’m still trying out. (I have no idea if this happens in CS3 as it’s no longer on my computer.) I got the card on Friday, shot a wedding yesterday. As you can imagine, I’m not in the best mood. I’ve searched and searched and it seems to be down to the colour profiling which is enforced. After reading < http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&thr eadid=97593> I’ve tried installing Powerstrip and loading the colour profile before I installed the card, but that hasn’t worked. In fairness, I haven’t spent too long figuring out how to use Powerstrip. But at the same time, I don’t want Catalyst managing any profiles. My monitor and programs are just fine without it. Furthermore, I’d like to be able to easily choose what manages what.

So please, anyone, how to I completely remove all colour control from Catalyst. Either that or how can I

System:
Phenom 9950 BE on M3A32-MVP Deluxe mobo
4gb ram (but only 3 used because I’m using XP Pro SP3)
1gb Sapphire HD4850 using Catalyst 8.11
Lenovo L220x (primary) and Viewsonic VX924 (secondary)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BL
Bob Levine
Dec 2, 2008
John…PLEASE kill that autoquote in your newsreader.

Bob
R
Rabid
Dec 2, 2008
I’ve just bought a 1GB Sapphire HD 4850. And to cut a long story short, when I’m using my Adobe products, there is a colour tint to all images. When I had my previous nVIDIA card, I had no problem. When I uninstall all drivers, again there is no problem with colours. But when I install the Catalyst software, I have problem.
If you go to ATI.com driver dl page, I think you will find the 8.11 driver listed below the Catalyst software and driver. Install just the driver (or uninstall only the Catalyst software) and see if this helps.
F
Freeagent
Dec 2, 2008
Or if you don’t want to remove it completely you can stop it from loading at startup. Type msconfig in the "run" box in the start menu and click the startup tab. Uncheck all ATI entries. The basic driver will still function.

But like John said, Catalyst is completely unnecessary.
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 3, 2008
FA, are you sure about that? By that, I mean are you sure that there aren’t some controls in Catalyst that control how the driver is functioning with OpenGL and CS4?

I know that Catalyst is aimed at gamers, but I haven’t been able to get any response from ATI or Adobe about which of those settings might relate to Photoshop. Very frustrating.
S
Silkrooster
Dec 3, 2008
So far I have not seen any issues with it. If I look at the color adjustment, mine says that it is disabled by a third party program. At the moment I only have outlook express, firefox 3 and Catalyst running.
JP
john_passaneau
Dec 3, 2008
wrote:
Hi all, I’ve posted this on the ATI website but thought I’d try here for some expertise from the Adobe people because this has to do with colour profiles and people here may know more.

Now, I’m a photographer and use Lightroom, Photoshop and Bridge regularly. I just upgraded to CS4 which I’m still trying out. (I have no idea if this happens in CS3 as it’s no longer on my computer.) I got the card on Friday, shot a wedding yesterday. As you can imagine, I’m not in the best mood. I’ve searched and searched and it seems to be down to the colour profiling which is enforced. After reading < http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&thr eadid=97593> I’ve tried installing Powerstrip and loading the colour profile before I installed the card, but that hasn’t worked. In fairness, I haven’t spent too long figuring out how to use Powerstrip. But at the same time, I don’t want Catalyst managing any profiles. My monitor and programs are just fine without it. Furthermore, I’d like to be able to easily choose what manages what.

So please, anyone, how to I completely remove all colour control from Catalyst. Either that or how can I

System:
Phenom 9950 BE on M3A32-MVP Deluxe mobo
4gb ram (but only 3 used because I’m using XP Pro SP3)
1gb Sapphire HD4850 using Catalyst 8.11
Lenovo L220x (primary) and Viewsonic VX924 (secondary)

It’s simple, delete it. Catalyst is unnecessary for the operation of your computer. When you delete it be sure you don’t get the video driver or you will have to go the ATI site and download it again. And if you do you can down load just the driver without Catalyst.
Catalyst is a video tool for people who don’t want to use the tool that is built into windows.

John Passaneau
F
Freeagent
Dec 3, 2008
that there aren’t some controls in Catalyst that control how the driver is functioning with OpenGL and CS4

I can’t say I know that for sure, but I would think that it interferes rather than controls. What I do know is that it interferes with monitor calibration, and it will kick out the monitor profile unless prevented from loading at startup. Same with Adobe Gamma if you have that. All these are mutually exclusive.

I currently have nVidia on both my systems (but I have been using ATI in the past) – and I have all startup items associated with nVidia disabled with no problems in CS4.
JP
john_passaneau
Dec 3, 2008
But I like quoting very much, and miss it here in these forums. I’m using Thunderbird to read these forums and I haven’t found a way to turn it off yet. And I really hate looking at these forums with a web browser.

John Passaneau
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 3, 2008
I’m using Thunderbird as well, but this is a web based forum and full autoquotes are a nuisance. Additionally, even in a true NNTP environment a full autoquote is considered unnecessary.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Bob
MO
Mateus_Orius
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for the responses guys. I found a monitor profile and applied it. And interestingly, it seems to be holding. Though now I have a calibrated profile, my images now have slightly shifted colours which seems odd!

Thanks again.

Enjoy your Christmas period!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections