L
Posted By
Laer
Nov 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I’m running my old Photoshop 5.5 on one of my second machines (XP Pro). My main one has the CS3 Production Suite.

The 2nd machine has a limited user and administrator user accounts (I keep it on the limited user unless I need to do administrative stuff).

However, I can’t seem to run Photoshop on it any more, as it gives me this bogus error about not being able to initialize photoshop because the file is locked. It tells me to use the Properties in Windows Explorer to unlock it, but I don’t understand how (the file doesn’t seem locked anyway). I’m sure this is some annoying Windows security thing (due to it being a limited account).

Is there some easy fix I can do so a limited user can use Photoshop 5.5?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Nov 29, 2008
you need to specifically give permissions to a bunch of files and folders and some registry settings. are you comfortable doing that? might be easier just to run as a new admin user…

i’m sure some of these locations may be off, but this document for ps7 and above might help point you at the types of locations and reg keys you need to allow access to:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb46518/0>
L
Laer
Nov 29, 2008
Thanks, I’ll look into that…

Weird/stupid that it doesn’t run ‘out of the box’. I can understand a limited user not being able to modify the program files, but it SHOULD be able to be run/used by a limited user out of the box.

Actually, I’m finding XP permissions very annoying. Previous O/S’s allowed very precise permissions (per program, etc) for each user, whereas XP now seems to just be ‘all or nothing’ (admin or limited), with seemingly no way of specifying anything further than that.

Anyone know if there in fact IS more control other than than in XP Pro, and if so, how do you access it? All I see is the User section, and that just let’s you set either admin or limited for each user, and nothing more…

I don’t even know how to set permissions overall in XP anymore.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 29, 2008
whereas XP now seems to just be ‘all or nothing’ (admin or limited), with seemingly no way of specifying anything further than that.

what version of xp? xp pro has very precise controls. xp home is very limited. what do you mean by previous versions? nt? 2000? neither one of them had a "home" version and a "pro" version. the pro version is designed specifically for this kind of stuff, with more permission and network control than the home version. (iirc windows 9x didn’t have very many (any?) permissions for users)

All I see is the User section, and that just let’s you set either admin or limited for each user, and nothing more…

ah ok. i guess you have pro. you can set permission by logging in as admin, going to start> settings> control panel> administrative tools> computer management> local users and groups> users. from there you can fiddle withsome group and user settings. more detail you can start> run> type "gpedit.msc". to run the group policy editor.

this site has some more info:
< http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxppusrm .html>

more info about the group policy editor…
< http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp -support/86677-user-management-xp.html>

google xp professional user management if you want to dig deeper.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 29, 2008
just saw your edit… took me a few to compose the above post. 🙂

ya, it’s a little cryptic… but not too difficult. problem is, 5.5 is so old, it’s kinda hard to guess what exactly you need to give permissions to.
L
Laer
Nov 29, 2008
Hmmm… The article I found pointed me to the Administrative tools, but then to the Local Security section, not the User section as you say… I’ll have to check your suggested section too.

I’m finding a few articles via Google. Seems my mistake before was trying to use the Windows Help, which seems to never help!

But, ya, I’ll just run as an Admin when I use Photoshop…. Annoying, but better than weakening my security, I guess.

I’ll check out your other links and stuff as well, and see what I can tinker with.

Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections