RG
Posted By
Roger G Harris
Sep 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
From time to time I get an error message when trying to open JPEG files. It basically says ‘Unable to open file, invalid JPEG marker found’.

What does this mean and how can I open the image?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards, Roger

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

V
viol8ion
Sep 16, 2003
Roger

What is the source of these JPGs? If they were downloaded or emailed, it is possible that the file is truncated or corrupted in transit. Try opening or viewing with another graphics application or viewer. Chances are if it is corrupted it is trash.

One trick to make sure a file does not get corrupt is to ZIP the file before emailing to ensure that it arrives intact.
RG
Roger G Harris
Sep 16, 2003
Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply – you are spot on, the images are being e-mailed and they won’t open in any graphics application – so I take it they’re destined for the trash can!

Many thanks, Roger
P
Phosphor
Sep 16, 2003
Take this opportunity to educate those folks who are sending you the JPEGs, even if you have to send them a link for compression software, and walk them through installation and use. The time you invest at the start will be worth it in the long run.
KR
Kim Rosenburg
Sep 22, 2003
I am having this same problem but I can open them at my work so I know they are not corrupt.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections