save for web in action, resize image pixel not propotionate.

WE
Posted By
William_Eddy
Nov 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When i create an action with a save for web command, i change the image size to 400×400 pixels. But when i run the action on a larger or smaller image the image size will change proportionatly. Not 400x400pixels. If i add to the action before i save for web to resize the image through the menu commands i end up with lost resolution. Who ever can help me solve this is a photoshop genius! I will seriously send u a christmas present.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GD
george_dingwall
Nov 26, 2008
I believe the save for web option uses percentage for the purpose of resizing an image. If you specify 400 x 400 in one image, it converts that to a percentage of the size of that image and then does the resize operation.

This means that if you run the action on an image of a different size, it will resize the new image by the same percentage as the original file used in the recording of the action.
WE
William_Eddy
Nov 28, 2008
Thats exactly whats happening to me. My problem is i have over 650 photos of christmas ornaments in nikon(raw) format. I adjusted the images in adobe camera raw with a preset than cropped the photos to a fixed ratio of 1×1 and saved as a psd. than i create two jpgs from the psd. one jpg is 195x195pixels the other jpg is 400×400. thats my process for creating the final project.

So how can i override the percentage resize aspect in the save for web action? Or is there a reccomended way to resize the image without losing resolution to a set size for each psd? than i could run the action with a save for web percentage change that would result in the correct final image size of 195×195 and 400×400?
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Nov 29, 2008
You could record the resizing step within Photoshop: Image>Image Size.
MB
Martha_Bosma
Jan 14, 2009
I have brand new, custom computer components–all of them. My screen is wide and flat.

My problem is that I’m NOT computer savvy, and ALL of my photos are with photos, shows as disproportionately wide. This is HUGE because I’m an artist with a website business. Selling my work, and family photos (on Facebook), are an embarassment!

Please be aware that I’m not computer-literate, so plain English will have to suffice. I just don’t know the lingo.

In fact, I know zilch compared to you guys!
MB
Martha_Bosma
Jan 14, 2009
I have all new, custom computer components. My screen is wide and flat. My Photoshop software, all images and albums, were saved from the old computer, but ALL of my photo images are now disproportionately wide.

I’m not computer savvy, but am an artist with a website business. Selling my work, and posting photos on Facebook have become a public humiliation!

Please know that I’m not computer-literate, so plain English will have to suffice…I just don’t know the lingo.

In fact, I don’t know zilch, compared to you guys!
S
stevent
Jan 14, 2009
Martha, does this image look perfectly round to you?

<http://tinypic.com>

If not, you need to change the screen resolution of your monitor.
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 14, 2009
It should be set to the native resolution normally shown on the packaging but definitely in the instruction book.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 14, 2009
but definitely in the instruction book.

or online in the manual, if you can’t find that.
MB
Martha_Bosma
Jan 14, 2009
No. The circle was oval–wider than high.

I just have no idea what to do–the guy who put together my custom computer, said there was a problem with Adobe, and to work it out with them. Then he left! I’ve spent a fortune on him and his business, but will I have to hire him again?

By the way, THANK YOU!!

Marty
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 15, 2009
I just have no idea what to do-

change your monitor resolution until it’s a circle. start> settings> control panel> display> settings> screen resolution.
WE
William_Eddy
Jan 16, 2009
Finally back online! back to business! I have been trying to run an action in photoshop. Im having problems within the action in the save for web dialog box. The save for web command offers me the choice to resize the image but when i run the action it adjusts the size proportionatly. secondly if i resize the image through the menu options i seem to lose a ton of image quality. Is there a patch to change the save for web dialog box to resize based on a consistent image size 400×400 pixels instead of a direct proportion.

Or how do i program my own patch to change the settings. Everything is possible!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 17, 2009
any time you resize an image, you’re either adding (enlarging) or throwing away (shrinking) pixels. the correct way to do it is to create your image in the proper size from the start. i.e. if you need an 800px x 200px image, START by creating a new image at 800px x 200px.
WE
William_Eddy
Jan 20, 2009
As far as i can tell your absolutly right. So with the action if i resize all the images to the same size before the save for web proportionate action is performed i can end up with all the finished images400x400 and 195×195 the same size in the end? Im working with 353 psd files that range in pixel size from 3000×3000 to 800×800. All of them are in a 1×1 size ratio. Do you reccomend a large(3000×3000), middle(1900×1900), or low(800X800) pixel resize number to use as the new standard pixel size before i do the save for web command. I hope this makes sense. Thank You

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections