Posted By
flovelett
Nov 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

My system is running XP64 (SP2). I have put off migrating to Vista until absolutely necessary. Should I make the switch now before even installing a trial version of CS4?

I do understand that CS4 under XP64 is unsupported, but reports of slow-downs and crashes under Vista 64 are not very reassuring either.

I will probably upgrade to CS4 for the 64 bit support, but want to make sure it is stable. I also want to make certain that I will be able to uninstall CS4 without harming my system if things go badly.

System details:

Dell Precision T7400 Quad Xeon X5460 3.16 Mhz 8 GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX1700/512

Thanks,

Felicia

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BL
Bob Levine
Nov 23, 2008
What do you expect to find in a support forum? Everything’s working beautifully for me with Vista Ultimate 64.

Bob
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 23, 2008
Ditto with Vista Business 64 on a T5400.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Nov 23, 2008
Ditto on Vista Ultimate 64. Get 8 gigs of ram though as it is real cheap in price and the system loves it.
C
Curvemeister
Nov 24, 2008
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 05:23:17 -0800, wrote:

Should I make the switch [to Vista 64[ before even installing a trial version of CS4?

Yes – XP 64, as you say, is not supported, and there have been problems reported. It’s been working fine for me on Vista Ultimate 64 w/nvidia 8300 graphics. 64 bits does not up performance much if at all – it’s not faster so much as able to handle larger images. YMMV – be ready to switch to a new video card if necessary.
JC
JOHN_CHOY
Nov 24, 2008
I’m on xp x64 and it’s working faultlessly.

just pay attention to switch off antivirus and firewall during installation.

Go get the PSCS4GPU_OptionalPlugins.zip that is at : < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=40 56&fileID=3769> , then CS4 on xp64 can utilise GPU.
F
flovelett
Dec 7, 2008
Thanks for responding.

After learning that Dell won’t support Vista 64 on my system (it shipped with XP 64), I installed CS4 under XP 64.

There have been some issues with the nVidia driver, but CS4 is running fine now. (The optional GPU/OpenGL plug in was not stable on my system).

I was happy with CS4 and upgraded. The extra GB’s do seem to help when working on files with 100+ layers (very common for my work).
QP
Q_Photo
Dec 8, 2008
I love happy endings…
Q
LZ
Loretta_Zupko
Dec 8, 2008
Where did you get the 64 bit Vista? If you bought it from a store then you have support from MS.

wrote in message
Thanks for responding.

After learning that Dell won’t support Vista 64 on my system (it shipped with XP 64), I installed CS4 under XP 64.

There have been some issues with the nVidia driver, but CS4 is running fine now. (The optional GPU/OpenGL plug in was not stable on my system).
I was happy with CS4 and upgraded. The extra GB’s do seem to help when working on files with 100+ layers (very common for my work).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections