Daniel_nieto
Nov 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can I Burn & Dodge nondestructively?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Nov 22, 2008
Here’s one way. You’ll have to experiment, but this should put you on the right track.

(Click image for full size)
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1zt5ciAR4pto2phmgs WZDI0LCgkIPm>
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 22, 2008
(hi steve!) ๐Ÿ™‚
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 22, 2008
Do it in Adobe Camera Raw.
RK
Ronald Keller
Nov 22, 2008
I do it like so:
Paint with white/black/Eraser on a new layer in Soft Light mode.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 22, 2008
holy carp ron! I just had a need for this and that’s amazing! i KNEW there was a reason i keep hanging out here! ๐Ÿ™‚

thank you for the great tip!
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 22, 2008
check this out. new layer, soft light, painting with white. here’s a pic from disney where we were out all day in the august heat and were going in to a restaurant to eat. i was a sweaty looking mess! XD

before:
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1SdIIa4P47hYrba9PV nnJ40UBb8MUx1>

after:
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Hf3FDStitDM3nFyUW vL4CJLUuLymz>

took about 5 minutes! thanks again! ๐Ÿ™‚
P
Phosphor
Nov 22, 2008
You softlighted yourself before going into the restaurant, right?

๐Ÿ˜‰
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 22, 2008
no, but every other bloke looked like that. it was a scorcher!
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 23, 2008
yea, but like i said, that’s 5 minutes (non-destructive) work. i’ll spend some more time on it and will be happy with the final results. i was more concerned that i learned a cool new technique (for me).

maybe you don’t get that much of a kick when you learn something new robert. i’m sorry for you if that’s the case.
JM
J_Maloney
Nov 23, 2008
I’d start here:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF>
DN
Daniel_nieto
Nov 23, 2008
To Phos & Ron. Ron: works! Thankyou. Phos: will try it when i get time to set it up. daniel
RB
Robert_Barnett
Nov 23, 2008
Can’t say that is overly impressive you replaced sweat stains with what looks like light bleach stains (there is a loss of color and halo edging.)

Robert
F
Freeagent
Nov 23, 2008
Can’t say that is overly impressive

I think we all took that for what it was, a quick demonstration that the technique actually works. No time to dig into the finer details.

You look like you had a good time, Dave!
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 23, 2008
ya. it was really fun! polynesian for 13 days! that was taken outside the Tusker House restaurant in the africa section of the animal kingdom. felt like africa too! ๐Ÿ™‚
P
Phosphor
Nov 23, 2008
Embarrassed Retraction:

I sheepishly suggest that everyone ignore my reply at the beginning of this thread. I wrote that outย—and created the sample set-up/screenshotย—from a faded memory of a technique I read about years ago.

I think I was on the right track, but have obviously left out some important detail(s). Don’t have time to find the tutorial I had read back then, and have no idea where it was…magazine? online? I don’t know.

Maybe some intrepid propeller head here will see what I was after and tell me where I went wrong, or what I left out.

Again, my apologies.

Oops!
RK
Ronald Keller
Nov 23, 2008
Dave,

You are very welcome. Over the years you have offered so much help to all of us and I am glad I could give a little bit in return.

Ronald
C
Curvemeister
Nov 23, 2008
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:42:26 -0800, wrote:

Can I Burn & Dodge nondestructively?

Sure – add a transparent layer (or a layer of RGB(128,128,128) gray) in Overlay mode.

Paint the layer white where you want to dodge and black where you want to burn, and shades of gray in between. Works a treat for things like removing shadows from faces.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 23, 2008
Over the years you have offered so much help to all of us and I am glad I could give a little bit in return.

bah. thanks, but i learn more here than i could ever give back. when i see something as clean and easy as that little gem of yours, it makes it all worth while!

thanks again! ๐Ÿ™‚

Sure – add a transparent layer (or a layer of RGB(128,128,128) gray) in Overlay mode.

ah! ๐Ÿ™‚ <max smart>the old "there’s always at least 3 ways to do soemthing in photoshop" trick…</max smart> good one CM!
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 23, 2008
And now there’s camera raw as well!
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 23, 2008
….’splain please… ๐Ÿ™‚
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 23, 2008
With CS3 you can edit JPGs and TIFs in Adobe Camera Raw and it’s non-destructive.

In CS4 it’s even better with ACR 5.x
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 23, 2008
With CS3 you can edit JPGs and TIFs in Adobe Camera Raw and it’s non-destructive. There are a variety of image adjustments, all available in one dialog box.

With ACR 5.x in CS4 it’s even better, with localised retouching now possible.
G
Gener
Nov 24, 2008

If you go with the 128 gray,then you can even use the Burn and Dodge tools on that layer.

You can also reduce the opacity of the Overlay layer to reduce the dodge and burn effect.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections