T
Posted By
Telemanr
Nov 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sometimes I can hover and get tooltips and sometimes they simply won’t appear. My video card is not GPU capable but I wouldn’t think this would make their appearance unpredictable.
Is it just me?

Rob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
Mylenium
Nov 22, 2008
The tooltip behavior may hinge on what tool you have active. This is nothing really new and has been similar in the past. Some tips will strangely enough only show up with the move tool, but never with the tool they are actually meant for. Likewise, it seems to matter which path you travelled to reach a given hotspot. Sometimes only the first tooltip will be shown, but not successive ones. It’s inconvenient, but since, as a good PS user, you will read the help files, it shoudl not stop you from working with the program. 😉

Mylenium
KL
Kevin_L
Nov 29, 2008
This is nothing new? It is a bug. Needs to be fixed.

Doesn’t stop me from working, but it is an unacceptable defect. I upgraded from CS2, and enough has changed that having SNAPPY, non disappearing tool tips is a necessity. Not looking for the "easter egg" approach to activating tool tips.

Kevin
T
Telemanr
Nov 30, 2008
I have two things that look like bugs but who knows who’s to blame.

1. Tooltips are completely unpredictable and invariably when I want to see one I can’t.

2. The arrange mechanism (2 up,2 side-by-side, consolidate etc.) simply doesn’t work half of the time. I just rebooted and opened PS CS4, loaded two pictures and it wouldn’t arrange them. Closed PS, reopened it and it did.

Rob
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 30, 2008
seems to me the tooltips in cs4 take a few seconds to load the 1st time, 3 or 4 (and i think this is os settable, i think i saw a setting for that in tweakui, it’s been a while) then after the 1st tool tip is up, you can move around over various tools and the tip should pop up almost immediately.

xp pro 32, sp3.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 30, 2008
whoops! spoke too soon. came here read the post above mine. went to cs4. observed what happened. came back here and posted my last post. then when i just went back into photoshop i’m not seeing any tool tips for the panels (including the tools). i AM seeing tool tips for the things above the menu bar, like hte rotate tool, arange docs and screen mode.

tried moving panels back from 2nd monitor in the the main app window on the 1st monitor and still no tool tips.

very odd. looks like a bug to me. no matter what i do i can’t seem to get them back on the panels or tool bar (or the dockable options bar).
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 30, 2008
boy, that IS annoying! 🙂
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 30, 2008
Just to be terribly boring again, Tool Tips are fine here on everything. Even my home-made Configurator Panel!
QP
Q_Photo
Nov 30, 2008
Tool Tips work here, but do take 2-4 seconds.
Q
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 30, 2008
You can fill 2 to 4 seconds with nice thoughts. It makes the Photoshop Experience that much richer. 😉
JG
Josh_Gordon
Nov 30, 2008
I am seeing big problems with tooltips also and it’s not contingent upon any OS setting. It seems to me that certain panels show tooltips without any issue (such as the main tools panel on the left) but other places (like the color swatches panel) aren’t showing tooltips at all. In CS3, I could hover the mouse over a color swatch and it would popup the name of the swatch. In CS4, this no longer works for me.

I’ve seen the lack of tooltips in a few other areas as well…seems like there are some real problems in CS4 with this.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Nov 30, 2008
For the most part it takes 2 to 4 seconds when I hover over a tool for the first time for the tip to pop up. Then after that I can hover over more and the tips pop up right away. Then the tool tips just sorta stop as if they are pissed off at me screwing around with them and don’t want to play any more. Artificial intelligence at its best!!

It is not like I have to have it in order to live. But if it is offered as a feature then it should work correctly.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 30, 2008
For the most part it takes 2 to 4 seconds when I hover over a tool for the first time for the tip to pop up. Then after that I can hover over more and the tips pop up right away. Then the tool tips just sorta stop

that’s it.
T
Telemanr
Nov 30, 2008
Glad I’m not the only one. Misery (an exaggeration) loves company.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 30, 2008
On my cripples installation, it appears that I am in aggrement with others, although the 2-3 second delay is pretty common throughout different programs. Sometimes they don’t even appear at all until you move the cursor off then back on.

One peculiarity is that the brush circle changes to a half circle at 700 pix and beyond.

On the plus side, the Auto Tone is almost awesome! I usually get things hinging on distaste when I use auto anything in PS, but this algorithm does a superb job. Even if I have to ultimately disagree with it, what I would say is it presents me with an alternative tonality that works, sort of like detuning the low E string on a guitar to D. Make you sit up and take notice. And, unlike detuning, I can fade the Auto tone. 🙂
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Dec 1, 2008
One peculiarity is that the brush circle changes to a half circle at 700 pix and beyond.

Obey the mantra: update the video card driver.
TB
Terje_Bergli
Dec 18, 2008
I hate using valuable time searching for these kind of answers. The tool tips should just work, and I need them to do my work. Isn’t there a fix yet?
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 18, 2008
I hate using valuable time searching

Would you like me to pop over and make you a coffee too?
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 18, 2008
Would you like me to pop over and make you a coffee too?

🙂

but he’s right. esp. with all the new stuff going on in cs4, tool tips are essential, and they’re broken.
TB
Tean_Ber
Dec 18, 2008
I don’t drink coffee, but I’d love a cup of tea now!
I am kind of tired of timesaving new features when things like this eats up my time. Anyway I think I found some kind of answer. In my case I had to close camtasia 6 and my tool tip came back 🙂
This bug exists in Illustrator and PS but not in i. e. Flash. Strange but definitely a bug. Try turning off other applications to see if your tool tips return.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 18, 2008
I had to close camtasia 6

don’t have that. i’ll try running only cs4. i believe the only things i had open while i tested this and found the error affecting me as well were cs4 and firefox 3.0.4
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 18, 2008
Other than a one beat delay on mouse-over I never had it, so I can’t really help.

(It is checked on in preferences of course!) 😉
TB
Tean_Ber
Jan 6, 2009
OK I’m back with some additional information. Happy new year everyone, bye the way 🙂 Just to complicate things I tested this on a regular PC with XP (Not a dualboot Mac with Vista) and this worked fine.
So this means Vista is also an issue in my case. I suspect all of this perhaps has to do with a conflict in application "focus" (Illustrator/Photoshop vs Camtasia 6).

@ Josh: Yes, of course;)
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 6, 2009
mine works with the first tool tip taking about two seconds to appear, then the subsequent one appear instantaneously. If I remove the mouse from the tool bar and then go back, it starts all over again the same way.

It seems from this behaviour that the tooltips are only ‘loaded’ when needed and then ‘unloaded’. Don’t think it is a bug per se, but is annoying.
BH
bazzer_herman
Jan 6, 2009
Win Xp 4core 4mb
I’ve upgraded from CS3. My issues concern firstly the brush size circle disappearing gradually as the size of circle increases.
Also the following buttons disappear on hover over – screen mode, view extras, Arrange docs inc the group of buttons under this, Screen mode, Hand tool, Zoom Tool, rotate tool. The tool tips are there and I have to guess where the actual button is.
Should I re-install over the top, can you do that? Or should I wait for an update?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections