NS
Posted By
Norman Schwartz
Nov 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am encountering persistent program crashes with Photoshop 11 (CS4) when I have multiple layers (four or more) and the file size exceeds 75 mb. The error message that Photoshop has encountered a problem and is closing appears without further details. When I reopen PS, I then get the message about "Photoshop encountering a problem with the display driver and disabled GPU enhancement" despite the fact that I previously unchecked enable OpenGL drawing in the preferences-performance tab. That tab notes under GPU settings that "Detected Video Card". My video card is nVidia GeForce 7600 GT with the latest driver dated 10/07/08.I have 4 GB of RAM, however in the performance tab of preferences it notes 1.633 GB AM available and Photoshop using 960 mb. I also have CS3 (PS10) and do not encounter the same problem. The OS is Vista.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

M
Mylenium
Nov 22, 2008
Please search the various threads in this forum pertaining to OpenGL issues. Updating to the latest driver 178.24 is inevitable. Also check for the "Old GPU" enabling registry hack. The prefs only get saved on program exit, so it’s natural the old options are in place after a crash. Disable OpenGL, exit the program, relaunch it and only then start working with it.

Mylenium
CF
chris_farrell
Nov 22, 2008
Could be many things.

Corrupt files / Bad sectors on hard drive / drivers ( not just the GPU ).

GPU is the first port – given your greyed out options….

Chris
BC
Bart_Cross
Nov 22, 2008
Norman: Being you are using the 32bit version of Vista, then the app will only see 2gigs of RAM, less what is set aside for the OS, therefore you only have 1.6 showing as available.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections