Posted By
Melody_Anderson
Nov 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me the default colour and opacity for the Quick Mask mode? I was trying to find a way of resetting it and don’t seem to be able to find such an option. I don’t really want to trash my preferences file…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 19, 2008
Never personally used quick mask,but i would think it based on the black/white foreground colors. hit the d-key to reset them,and x-key to reverse them.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 19, 2008
Never personally used quick mask,

😮

it’s one of the best selection tools going!

here’s the default:
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1lL0m96YyQwLCZXIWA ahmlfSEyGDp>

that red seems to be:
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1fATbPZSkhHMqEf6QV 17uTLujUW3B0>
DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 19, 2008
I dont doubt you,but i do not have time to try and learn another thing. sorry for the obvious incorrect response.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 19, 2008
,but i do not have time to try and learn another thing.

hi donald, know how to use the paint brush? then you know it already.

switch the "Color Indicates" from the default "masked areas" to "selected areas" (one of the first things i do with each upgrade) and what you have is essentially a "selection brush".

make a selection in your normal way. then just press Q on the keyboard and you paint with black to add to the selection, or white to subtract. press Q again to turn off quick mask mode (toggle). makes refining your selections very quick and easy. 🙂
P
Phosphor
Nov 19, 2008
I like using QuickMask to clone selections…Not regions of pixels…but marching ants selections.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 19, 2008
huh? can you elaborate phos?
P
Phosphor
Nov 19, 2008
Try this:

• New Document, 600px × 600px, White BG.
• Tap "D" for default colors.
• Rectangular Marquee, drag out a selection, say 100pxW × 35pxH, center of document, a little way down from the top.
• Tap your "Q" key to enter Quick Mask mode.
• Rectangular Marquee selection, just a little bigger than, and surrounding the box you see at the top center of your document.
• CTRL-C, CTRL-V.
• CTRL-T to invoke the Transform function.
• Hold ALT + Shift, click and drag the inside the transform box a little way toward the bottom of the document until the new rectangle and and the original are fully separated. Tap Enter and commit the transform. Marching Ants will still be active.
• Hold CTRL + ALT + Shift, and tap the "T" key to create more copies of the rectangle. They’ll all be spaced the same distance as the first two.
• Tap the "Q" key to return to normal image editing mode. • Voilà! You have a bunch of equal selections, all perfectly equidistant.

It’ll be up to you to play with the technique and myriad variations on the technique to figure out what you might do with it.

🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 19, 2008
ah so… 🙂
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 19, 2008
I would add that, once you have got a grip on masking in general, the "Q" facility (which used to be one of my favourite selection tweakers) becomes redundant.
L
leuallen
Nov 19, 2008
On Nov 18, 8:23 pm, wrote:
      ,but i do not have time to try and learn another thing.
hi donald, know how to use the paint brush? then you know it already.
switch the "Color Indicates" from the default "masked areas" to "selected areas" (one of the first things i do with each upgrade) and what you have is essentially a "selection brush".

This has a bad side effect if you use channel masks. The alpha channels become inverted as compared to the same alpha channel used as a layer mask. In other words, if an area is white in an alpha channel it will be black in the layer mask, not what you want if you use many layer masks. I prefer that the alpha channel and layer mask look the same, otherwise you’ll get confused.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections